Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IBM embedded SQL samples for Micro Focus COBOL - outsrv.sqb and outcli.sqb

When I install IBM DB2 Express-C on Red Hat Enterprise.  there is a COBOL samples folder for Micro Focus COBOL.

I try to go through each application and try to learn Micro Focus COBOL.

Most of them is easy for me to understand what it tries to demonstrate and how it runs.

But this one really puzzles me:

outsrv.sqb  is COBOL DB2 stored procedure. 

outcli.sqb  is COBOL application to call outsrv

I compiled both them successfully.   and run outcli successfully. 

But how outcli can call outsrv through DB2 successfully without creating DB2 stored procedure on "outsrv" routine?

outcli.sqb   source is online

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_10.5.0/com.ibm.db2.luw.apdv.sample.doc/doc/cobol/s-outcli-sqb.html

outsrv.sqb   source is online

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_10.5.0/com.ibm.db2.luw.apdv.sample.doc/doc/cobol/s-outsrv-sqb.html

The README document in the sample folder says -- no need to create DB2 stored procedure for "outsrv" on DB2 server!

I do not understand but I ran successfully.

Really appreciated for any help.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: IBM embedded SQL samples for Micro Focus COBOL - outsrv.sqb and outcli.sqb

Both outsrv.sqb and outcli.sqb work with Visual COBOL compiler.

Running fine on DB2 Express-C v10.5

It seems nobody really understand how  outsrv.sqb works on DB2 Server.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.