Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Installing Visual COBOL 2010 R4 update 2 on CentOS 6.2

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 28 March 2012]

Hi all:

I downloaded a trial copy of Visual COBOL 2010 R4 for Eclipse update 2.

When I try to install in my CentOS 6.2 server the installer shows the message below:

--begin--
-=-==================================================================-=-
Micro Focus Visual COBOL R4 - Installer
www.microfocus.com

./setup_viscobolr4_deveclipse_update2: - WARNING -
The installer is being run on an unsupported platform.
See System Requirements on product support site for platform details.
You platform has been detected as :- Linuxx86_64

--end--

I already read the System Requirements and CentOS is NOT a supported platform.

Is there any option in installer to skip the platform test?

Thanks
Hudson

Hudson Reis - http://hreis.net

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Installing Visual COBOL 2010 R4 update 2 on CentOS 6.2

Jump to solution
StephenKennington originally wrote:
If you run the installer with the command line option "-noplatformcheck" this will skip the platform check.

Hi Stephen:
Your tip works very well and I did install VisualCOBOL with success!
Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
If you run the installer with the command line option "-noplatformcheck" this will skip the platform check.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Just wanted to clarify one item.

Just because you might be able to get the product installed on an unsupported platform, it is STILL an unsupported platform.

If you run into issues when running on an unsupported platform then you are pretty much on your own.

In order to report a problem to Customer Support you must be able to reproduce the problem on one of our supported platforms or we will not be able to help you.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
StephenKennington originally wrote:

Hi Stephen:
Your tip works very well and I did install VisualCOBOL with success!
Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Chris Glazier originally wrote:
Just wanted to clarify one item.

Just because you might be able to get the product installed on an unsupported platform, it is STILL an unsupported platform.

If you run into issues when running on an unsupported platform then you are pretty much on your own.

In order to report a problem to Customer Support you must be able to reproduce the problem on one of our supported platforms or we will not be able to help you.

Thanks.

Hi Chris:

I'm aware about that

Although I managed to install VisualCOBOL on my Centos 6.2 I had some difficulties to start license server(sometimes it does not start without any reason) and the eclipse ide does not start(cobjrun32 shows up in process table[ps -ax] but it ends quietly with no stack trace or log). I had to make changes in the liblist file and some demo examples because they make reference to GCC 4.4.1 but Centos 6.2 had installed GCC 4.4.5 by default.

Perhaps these problems do not exist in Centos 6.1 and I will test later.

At this moment I'm happy with the results of my evaluation because my programs was compiled sucessfully.

Is there any plans to define CentOS as a supported platform?

Thanks for all support.
Hudson

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.