bobfurno Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Installing Visual COBOL Eclipse for red hat Linux 5.x

Jump to solution

Need help with a link to the correct version of JAVA. I ran visual cobol from icon on Linux server desktop and got the message "visual cobol for eclipse - java is the wrong version. A 32 bit Java 1.6 or above runtime is required to run eclipse. Update the java on your PATH and retry."   How do I find the correct PATH?. Also I have no mention of environment variables that are required. I intend to evaluate (compile ) programs currently running server express with character mode dialog.

My server is a HP prolient ML150 (64 bit)

Thanks Bob

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: Installing Visual COBOL Eclipse for red hat Linux 5.x

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

There are 64 bit versions of Eclipse available from Eclipse.org. However, Visual COBOL for Eclipse does not support 64 bit versions of Eclipse. Therefore you will need to have a 32 bit JRE installed and on your path for Eclipse to function.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

[quote user="bobfurno"]

Need help with a link to the correct version of JAVA.[/quote]

Java can be downloaded from Oracle, at http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/java/standard-edition/overview/index.html. Since you're running Linux, you can probably also install a suitable Java runtime using a package installer for your Linux distribution.

[quote]

I ran visual cobol from icon on Linux server desktop and got the message "visual cobol for eclipse - java is the wrong version. A 32 bit Java 1.6 or above runtime is required to run eclipse. Update the java on your PATH and retry."   How do I find the correct PATH?[/quote]

Open an xterm or other application that gives you a shell prompt, and enter "which java" (or the appropriate command for your shell, if you're not using a shell that supports the "which" command). That will tell you where the Java runtime exists on your path. If no Java executable is found, then the problem is that either Java is not installed, or it's not on your path.

This is standard Linux system administration.

[quote]

Also I have no mention of environment variables that are required.[/quote]

What other environment variables do you believe are required?

0 Likes
bobfurno Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks Mike

I got Java installed OK  I now need the environment variables for eclipse and Vcobol  that are required(If any).

Can  you help with these?

Thanks Bob

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I don't know of any other environment variables you'd need to set, if Java is properly installed.

0 Likes
bobfurno Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Installed from RedHat Java-1.7.0-openjdk  x86_64 . With this I get the message from eclipse:

A java runtime environment (JRE) or development kit (JDK) must be available in order to run eclipse, No java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations:

cobjecl32 in your current PATH.

Is Eclipse is looking for 32bit java??.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I believe both 32- and 64-bit versions of Eclipse are available, but whichever you have installed, you must have a JRE of the corresponding bitness. I'd suggest trying with a 32-bit JRE.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

There are 64 bit versions of Eclipse available from Eclipse.org. However, Visual COBOL for Eclipse does not support 64 bit versions of Eclipse. Therefore you will need to have a 32 bit JRE installed and on your path for Eclipse to function.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.