Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Issue with Installation VisualCobol for Eclipse

Hello!

I try to install VisualCOBOL for Eclipse PE and every time get error related to missing Java.

At first I try to install in Windows 10 (x64) and receive error, that I must install Oracle Java 32bit not older than 1.6. I have installed Oracle JDK v.1.8 for x32 and x64. I found recommendation to install not so new version of JRE. Ok, I download and install v.1.7 and v.1.6 successively. and each time I receive the same error.

[2CC0:1004][2015-09-04T09:22:18]i301: Applying execute package: visualcoboleclipse22x86, action: Install, path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{7BFAAF39-DCCF-4E2C-BF3C-B9101A9EA26A}v2.2.00244\Visual COBOL\visualcoboleclipse22x86.msi, arguments: ' ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT="1" MSIFASTINSTALL="7" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL" ECLIPSEINSTALLDIR="D:\eclipse\"'
[2CC0:211C][2015-09-04T09:22:18]i304: Verified existing payload: visualcoboleclipse22x64 at path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{36FF2B25-510F-445E-B310-88D31C4E0858}v2.2.00244\Visual COBOL\visualcoboleclipse22x64.msi.
[2CC0:1004][2015-09-04T09:22:20]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package.
[2CC0:1004][2015-09-04T09:22:20]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.
[1BBC:2A98][2015-09-04T09:22:20]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSI package.

I am not set up any env. variable, because I don't found such requirement.

After that I try to install VisualCOBOL for ReHat PE. I use CentOS v7 (changed issue file as described on this forum), install all prerequisite libs and Oracle JDK 1.8 (including update PATH, JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME), and again receive error, that I need to set up Oracle Java and add it to PATH. I try with JRE v.1.6, but result exactly the same again.

I haven't any idea, what I could try any more. May be someone could give some ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Issue with Installation VisualCobol for Eclipse

I solved problem with Linux, it was my fault with value of JAVA_HOME. And now it's work.

But Windows it didn't work, it still gave me error 0x80070643

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The current version of the Visual COBOL Personal Edition product is at the 2.2 level. This has not been certified under Windows 10. The next release which is 2.3 has been certified under Windows 10 and will be available next month sometime.

I tested the same release that you are using here under Windows 10 and I did not have a problem with the install so maybe something else is at play here.

Can you please post the install log here so that I may review it? It should be in the %TEMP% folder with the name starting with VisualCOBOLEclipse*.*

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I attached log. I try to check this log, but couldn't find any useful detail

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The log shows error:

"Automatic updates could not be paused due to error: 0x80040154"

Googling this seems to indicate that you need to apply all of the available Windows Updates to your current OS in order to continue.

Is this Windows 10 Technical Preview or the GA version? Did you install this Windows 10 new or did you upgrade a previous OS version?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Chris!

It's a final version of Windows 10, which was updated from Windows 8.1 Pro. And I set up all available updates before upgrade to Win 8.1.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Have you run the latest Windows Updates after upgrading to Windows 10?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes. As I know, in Win 10, it's not possible to stop it completely. I reboot two or three times since upgrade my PC, because "new updates has been installed to your PC"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I believe this issue is related to an incompatibility with the Java version installed. As Chris mentioned, the Visual COBOL Personal Edition product is currently at Visual COBOL for Eclipse 2.2. Unfortunately, the installer for that version does not recognize Java 8. I've found previously that if you uninstall Java 8, and instead install Java 6u27 (1.6.0_27), the install with vce_22 succeeds. That testing was done on Windows 7, but I suspect the same would be true under Windows 10.

Blair McDonald

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.