Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just want to make a simple procedural COBOL program, what template should I use?

Jump to solution

I am guessing I should use Managed (might as well make the program be able to run under .NET as well as JVM) then after that I am not sure.  I suppose Console Application would be a fine but I am now wanting to do any interactive responses.  Just read in a file and take some of the data and spit out a new file.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Just want to make a simple procedural COBOL program, what template should I use?

Jump to solution
Either a native Console or managed Console application would work for you. The difference is that the managed project will generate .NET assemblies and the native project will generate .obj code which is linked into a Windows .EXE file. Either project type will support standard procedural COBOL code and will be generated as a standalone main program.

The library type templates generate .dlls either as .NET assemblies for managed or as dynamic link libraries for native. These are meant to be called as subprograms.

There are actually two different types of managed code that can be generated by the compiler, .NET or JVM, They are not the same thing. The compiler can generate both by means of different compiler directives, i.e ILGEN for .NET or JVMGEN for Java byte code. If you are using the IDE's then Visual COBOL for Visual Studio supports .NET code while Visual COBOL for Eclipse is the product that supports the generation of Java byte code (JVM).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Just want to make a simple procedural COBOL program, what template should I use?

Jump to solution
Either a native Console or managed Console application would work for you. The difference is that the managed project will generate .NET assemblies and the native project will generate .obj code which is linked into a Windows .EXE file. Either project type will support standard procedural COBOL code and will be generated as a standalone main program.

The library type templates generate .dlls either as .NET assemblies for managed or as dynamic link libraries for native. These are meant to be called as subprograms.

There are actually two different types of managed code that can be generated by the compiler, .NET or JVM, They are not the same thing. The compiler can generate both by means of different compiler directives, i.e ILGEN for .NET or JVMGEN for Java byte code. If you are using the IDE's then Visual COBOL for Visual Studio supports .NET code while Visual COBOL for Eclipse is the product that supports the generation of Java byte code (JVM).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.