Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

License Issue with Naïve Code

Jump to solution

I have two solutions running on one server, one is a managed code windows based application, the second is old mainframe code that is running in naïve code.  My managed code application runs fine, but when I try to start one of the naïve code program .exe, I get an error message 245 no valid product license.  Do I have something setup incorrect?  Confused how one solution can find the license but not the other.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: License Issue with Naïve Code

Jump to solution

A quick update to this post:

What we found is that although the COBOL Server product was installed on the server computer, a copy of the Visual COBOL\bin folder was also included in the same folder as the application.

Because the application was being run from that folder it was finding the run-time file cblrtsm.dll in the application folder instead of in the COBOL Server\bin folder.

Since the cblrtsm.dll in the application folder came from the Visual COBOL development product it requires a development license to be installed in Safenet but only a COBOL Server license was installed on the server and hence the license error was displayed correctly.

Since the end-user has COBOL Server installed the copy of the run-time files from Visual COBOL should not have been included with the application.

Note: This is a difference between Net Express and Visual COBOL.

In Net Express you could use the run-time files from the Net Express development product to run on a production machine with an Application Server license.

In Visual COBOL you must use the run-time files provided with the COBOL Server product when running on a production machine with a COBOL Server license.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

A managed code application that uses no native components at all will not check for the existance of a valid license whereas a native code application always does a check.

This tells me that the license is not installed properly on the server.
Open up the Micro Focus License Manager and see what licenses are installed.

Are you trying to run the application directly on the server on which the COBOL Server product is installed or are you trying to run it from a workstation that has its PATH set to point to a network share?

If from a workstation then you need to set this up according to the docs here:

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I am running from a workstation.  I will try based on the document you suggested.  I will let you know.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I have tried the document you suggested and get the same error.  Below is the runit.bat file contents, is there a way to verify that we are getting to the right place for the license?

set MFCES_INIT_LOCATION=\\easternbank.com\dfsroot\spears\ces.ini

set PATH=\\easternbank\dfsroot\spears\fpasrun;%PATH%

rem set PATH=\\ServerName\Share_bin64;%PATH%

rem set PATH=Location_of_Apps;%PATH%

mfcesdchk.exe >nul

if errorlevel 1 goto startlic

goto startapp

:startlic

start /B mfcesd -b

:checkloop

mfcesdchk.exe >nul

if errorlevel 1 goto checkloop

:startapp

fpbday

All of the runtime modules are in the FPASRUN folder including my code.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Did you actually install the COBOL Server product to the server computer or did you simply copy the run-time files to your application folder?

Does your application run correctly if you run it on the Server itself or does it also fail with a license error?

The actual license will be picked up from the machine name or IP address specified in the ces.ini file that you are pointing to with CES_INIT_LOCATION.

What is the content of that file?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I tried to run the program on the server itself and got the same error message.  The license is installed on the server, I have ran the license admin program and it shows the license, serial #, ect. The contents of the ces.ini are 'lhost=s001sfaapp01.easternbank.com'.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

What is the product name shown for the installed license?

From which product did you copy the COBOL run-time files, from Visual COBOL\bin folder or from COBOL Server\bin folder?

The run-time files have different licenses depending on which product they are from.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Product Name is Cobol Server(production)(PA)  serial #600000541818 type full

I used the file cs2012_22.exe for the runtime.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

When you tested this on the server did you run the applications .exe directly or did you run the .bat file that you are running on the workstation?

Please try running the .exe directly and see if this works.

Also do you have the rebuild.exe utility available on the server machine?

If you do then please try running this on the server to see if you get the same licensing error.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I was running the .exe directly when I got the license error.  I ran the rebuild program and it did come up with directions for options.  no license error on the rebuild.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Please open up a support incident with customer care for this issue as we will most likely have to get traces from you, etc.

The rebuild utility uses the same run-time system and licensing as your application would so if the rebuild runs without a problem then it means the licensing is setup correctly and it is something with your specific application that may be causing a problem.

Is it possible that you create a simple native .exe hello world program and see if that runs on your server?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Created a hello world naïve program and I get the same error.  Should I go ahead and open a support incident?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.