Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Maximal size of array in Working-storage section

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 29 September 2011]

Net Express allows define in Working-storage section array with maximal size 256 Mbyte.
What limitation has MF VC R4 in this case?
Thanks.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Maximal size of array in Working-storage section

Hi Sircobol,

Object Maximum Size
Total No limit
Data Division 256 Mbytes
Procedure Division 816 Mbytes
Local-Storage Section Platform specific
COBOL segment 16 Mbytes

Link
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, these documented limits have not changed since Net Express.

Although the compiler will actually allow for larger data items and data divisions much larger than 256MB it is advisable to keep your programs within the documented limits as the behavior of using larger items is at the moment undefined.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It is a great pity.
256 MB corresponds only 3% from RAM 8GB on ordinary PC.
Obsolete limitation...

Dear developers of MF VC, please, keep up with yours competitors!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

We are currently in the process of updating the documentation so that it reflects the actual limitations (or lack thereof) of the Visual COBOL product.

This will be available in a future product release.

The compiler is now capable of generating both 32-bit and 64-bit code to run under native Windows or Unix/Linux environments as well as generating 32-bit and 64-bit code to run under managed .NET or JVM environments so the compiler dynamics have changed but have not yet been fully documented.

Our question to you would be, in which environment do you wish to deploy, native or managed code?

We are also happy to work directly with you to resolve this using other techniques, for example, using dynamic memory allocation.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dear Chris,
I'm ready collaborate with you directly.
I wish to deploy native Windows environment for generating 32-bit and (it is preferable) 64-bit code.

At the time I use NetExpress 5.1.
If you like, we will work in testing mode, because as yet I cannot buy MF VC R4.
Dynamic memory allocation method may be quite acceptable.

My Email: aristos-a@mail.ru
Best regards,
Valentin.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.