Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
ChrisM2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Micro Focus COBOL Server license on different subnet.

Jump to solution

I have a client where we are running Micro Focus COBOL Server Version 2.2 update 1.   We are using it to run native, unmanaged INTs.  They have 2 separate subnets set up, 192.168.100... and 192.168.1....   COBOL Server and the license are installed on the 192.168.100... subnet.  And everything from this subnet works fine.

The IP address for the server where the license is installed in 192.168.100.16 and the server name is CCFDC-3.

They are trying to get a PC on the other subnet to talk to the license server.  The 192.168.1... subnet can see the server by the server name, not IP address.   I run a batch file to launch our application:

SET COBSW=/S15000+P3-F+B+C
set COBDIR=\\CCFDC-3\COBOLsrv
set MFCES_INIT_LOCATION=%COBDIR%\ces.ini
set PATH=%COBDIR%;%COBDIR%\bin;%PATH%;f:\batches

mfcesdchk.exe >nul
if errorlevel 1 goto startlic
goto startapp

:startlic
start /B mfcesd.exe -b

:checkloop
mfcesdchk.exe >nul
if errorlevel 1 goto checkloop

:startapp

RUN K:REG2MENU

The mfcesdchk.exe is successful, but when we get to the 'RUN K:REG2MENU', we get the following error:

error code: 247, pc=0, call=1, seg=0

247 Licensing error (Error[5]: Cannot talk to the license server on host "192.168.100.16". Server may not be running.)

Is there a configuration option we can change to accomplish this?  Possibly using  the server name in the Advanced Configuration instead of the IP address?    Or is this strictly a networking issue that they will need to deal with?

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: Micro Focus COBOL Server license on different subnet.

Jump to solution

You should be able to enter value of the License Server, by hostname, or fully qualified domain name, in addition to IP Adress in Advanced Configuration. However, changing the ces.ini file, which the GUI above will do, may not resolve the issue. Is the router/switch forwardiing packets from one subnet to the other, such a pinging the license server from the other subnet? Also, is the router/switch allowing upd traffic over 5093 between the two subnets?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

You should be able to enter value of the License Server, by hostname, or fully qualified domain name, in addition to IP Adress in Advanced Configuration. However, changing the ces.ini file, which the GUI above will do, may not resolve the issue. Is the router/switch forwardiing packets from one subnet to the other, such a pinging the license server from the other subnet? Also, is the router/switch allowing upd traffic over 5093 between the two subnets?

0 Likes
ChrisM2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I talked to their network admin and the way they have the network configured CCFDC-3 has an IP address of 192.168.1.74 on the other subnet.   So, when I ping CCFDC-3, depending on what subnet I am on, I will get 2 different IP addresses.... either 192.168.100.16 or 192.168.1.74.   Can I add 192.168.1.74 to the Advanced Configuration and have both listed as license servers?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

You should be able to specify both ip addresses, separated by a colon delimiter.

0 Likes
ChrisM2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I will give that a try and let you know if it works.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.