Highlighted
ChrisM2 Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Multiple Versions of COBOL Developer on same laptop?

We have several clients that we support and they are all currently running COBOL Server 2.2.

One of them is upgrading their server to Windows Server 2019 and I need to upgrade them to COBOL Server 5.0.

I can't install Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2017 (5.0) on my development laptop unless I uninstall 2.2 first. BUT.... I still need to support my clients that will remain on 2.2.

We will eventually be upgrading all clients to 5.0, but I need to support both versions for the time being... how do I accomplish this?

We only run native code compiled to INTs. We do not run any managed code.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Multiple Versions of COBOL Developer on same laptop?

You cannot have two different versions of Visual COBOL coexisting on the same computer. In early product releases this was possible but it is not anymore.

If you need to still run an older VC 2.2 version simultaneously with the VC 5.0 version then you would need to install one of these on a different computer or on a VM running on the same physical computer.

You would need to speak with your Account Manager about doing this as it most likely would involve getting an additional Development license. 

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for the reply.... but it's unfortunate...

In a perfect world I would upgrade all of my clients at the same time... but that world doesn't exist.   I guess I'll have to jump thru some hoops to maintain both versions.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Will INTs compiled using 2.2 run on COBOL Server 5.0?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Although we always recommend that you recompile your source code using the latest product release which is at the same version level as the run-time system under which it is run, this is not absolutely necessary if you are running only .int code in your application.

.int code produced with the VC 2.2 product should run correctly under the COBOL Server 5.0 product as we always try to make the COBOL Server product upwardly compatible. 

If you are generating .obj files and linking them to .exe/.dlls then you would need to at the very least relink the .obj files with the latest version because the version of the dependent Microsoft C++ Redistributable Run-time system has changed at VC product version 4.0.

Thanks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.