Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Net Express to .Net Conversion ?

Jump to solution

We are running a ten years old desktop based application. Presentation layer or GUI is built on Net Express deployed on Windows machines and business logic (or transaction program) is built on Micro Focus Cobol deployed on UNIX server. Cobol programs use embedded SQL to persist data on Oracle database. We are now evaluating different options to switch the application to a web based application. Organization has taken strategic decision to use .NET framework for any future development though J2EE option is still open if it has significant edge over .NET. Cost and quick turn around is key factor while evaluating different options. We have following options in consideration.

1. Replace Net Express front end by .NET and re-use micro foucs cobol transaction program and embeded SQL.

2. Decommission existing application and re-write a brand new application on .NET framework.

#1 option sounds best choice as it involves less development and less QA time. But IT team does not have any prior experience on this kind of conversion. So I am seeking expert comment on following 

1. Is it a feasible solution to replace Net Express with .NET and re-use MF cobol deployed on UNIX ?

2. I feel Micro Focus Visual Cobol is capable of doing this but now sure if it will work in our existing architecture where transaction programs are deployed on UNIX.

3. Is there any online guide / document which can help us on this conversion?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Mithun, your post sounds very much like the typical scenario many of our customers face with existing COBOL systems in need of modernization.

In moving to Visual COBOL, our aim is that you can reuse as much of your existing COBOL application investment as possible, enabling you to modernize more quickly and with lower risk.

I think the best next step is to introduce you to our technical teams who can advise you about the options once we understand more about your existing system.

Can you email me at scot.nielsen@microfocus.com and we can arrange call.

Regards, Scot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Mithun, your post sounds very much like the typical scenario many of our customers face with existing COBOL systems in need of modernization.

In moving to Visual COBOL, our aim is that you can reuse as much of your existing COBOL application investment as possible, enabling you to modernize more quickly and with lower risk.

I think the best next step is to introduce you to our technical teams who can advise you about the options once we understand more about your existing system.

Can you email me at scot.nielsen@microfocus.com and we can arrange call.

Regards, Scot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.