Visitor.

ORACLE to POSTGRES migration

We are evaluating a possibility of migrating customer database from ORACLE to POSTGRESQL

Customer is using Visual Cobol - PROCobol  (Not only (also  java, .NET) -  but we have around 100000 lines of COBOL).

Is it practicable (reasonable) to migrate it from Oracle ProCOBOL to OpenESQL POSTGRES? 

Has anyone tried it, also with other databases?
Any hints?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Betreff: ORACLE to POSTGRES migration

Nothing is impossible!

Sure, it is possible to migrate database ORACLE to Postgres or other as MSSQL.

There are minimal changes to do on sqlcode, Oracle have allways a Primary key that must not be declared, the access is a little bit others.

What is the reason to change? a) from Oracle
                                                  b) to Postgres 

only Cost or other?
On wich OS run your application?

100000 code of lines are not heavy, but without see a example from the coding, i can't give more experience.

I have good experience since 20 years with mssql on Windows and now also running on Linux Server !

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Betreff: ORACLE to POSTGRES migration

Thanks for this answer. I know this is "it depends".

I do not know much  - it is my customer situation. The reason for postgres migration is cost of oracle (licenses + operations).
I am java developer and ... At the moment I look how to "not rewrite" those COBOL programs customer has to java (they just work, risks are high and to avoid cost).

This is linux (on production) as far as I know (I can confirm if it matters).

From my "unexperienced"  perspective it looked like possible task. I am now scanning sources for potentially oracle specific features that may not work on postgresql . Actually, I do not know what can that be  - just checking while reading sources.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.