Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OpenESQL Comp-6 Variable

Jump to solution

Is there an easier way to convert a RM Comp-6 to something that OpenESQL would recognize. The error I get is "does not have a suitable definition to be used as a host variable"

The only way I've gotten this to work is move it to a Non Comp-6 Field first (into a signed non-packed field for example) ... then using that variable.

I was hoping that CAST or CONVERT functions would work, but Haven't had any luck getting it to work, or I've just go the Syntax wrong.

Thanks for your help/insight.

Eric Boatman

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
I would not think that would work properly as adding the "S" to the PIC would cause it to store a sign byte into the field. The DIALECT"RM" directive, "RM" directive and the ability to read RM data files was really put in place to provide compatibility to run existing RM applications "as-is". If you are looking at modernizing your application or taking advantage of Visual COBOL features such as OpenESQL then, if possible, you really should convert your application and data files to use Visual COBOL default mechanisms going forward. This would help avoid the situation of having an application that is a mixture of both old and new.

Your best bet to workaround this issue is to use a separate set of data items as host variables to interact with the database and move these between the database and your existing data items as required.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
What product platform and version number are you using and what directives are being set?
I can use a COMP-6 data item as a host variable for OpenESQL using SQL Server and I do not receive an error. I am testing with VC for VS 3.0 under Windows 7.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Visual Cobol - 2.2 Update 1
Using Windows Eclipse - Compiling using DevHub/RSE to Linux.
MySQL Database.

$SET SQL(DBMAN=ODBC)
$set idxformat"21"
$set rm
$set ADDRSV"COMP-6"
$set COMP-6"2"
$set SETTINGS

02 TEST-VARIABLE PIC 99 COMP-6.

EXEC SQL
INSERT INTO Hints SET ID=:TEST-VARIABLE
END-EXEC.

I think I've answered your questions, ... if you have more feel free to ask.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
The problem isn't the usage COMP-6 but it is that OpenESQL doesn’t support using unsigned packed decimal host variables.

If you add a sign to the picture it will work.

02 TEST-VARIABLE PIC S99 COMP-6.

Then it will be treated the same as a COMP-3 field.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Can I override my existing, for instance in a RM File, to S99 Comp-6 and it read properly? and update to MySql properly?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
I would not think that would work properly as adding the "S" to the PIC would cause it to store a sign byte into the field. The DIALECT"RM" directive, "RM" directive and the ability to read RM data files was really put in place to provide compatibility to run existing RM applications "as-is". If you are looking at modernizing your application or taking advantage of Visual COBOL features such as OpenESQL then, if possible, you really should convert your application and data files to use Visual COBOL default mechanisms going forward. This would help avoid the situation of having an application that is a mixture of both old and new.

Your best bet to workaround this issue is to use a separate set of data items as host variables to interact with the database and move these between the database and your existing data items as required.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.