Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Performance degradation of Native COBOL access to Excel 2016

Jump to solution

We have a Native COBOL program that reads excel files using COM Automation. After upgrading Microsoft Office from 2010 to 2016, the program takes about twice as long.

Processing the same 270 files before the upgrade took on average 3-4 seconds per file. After the upgrade it takes 7-8 seconds.

Are there any know issues with accessing Excel 2016?

The code is attached, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Emi

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Performance degradation of Native COBOL access to Excel 2016

Jump to solution
I do not believe that the performance issue has anything to do with the COBOL program or it's COM support.

I Googled "excel 2016 macros slow" and received a number of hits from other non-COBOL users that are experiencing the same slow-down.

One example would be:
stackoverflow.com/.../excel-macro-sometimes-incredibly-slow-in-excel-2016-but-not-in-excel-2010-high

Advice varies between different posts.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
I do not believe that the performance issue has anything to do with the COBOL program or it's COM support.

I Googled "excel 2016 macros slow" and received a number of hits from other non-COBOL users that are experiencing the same slow-down.

One example would be:
stackoverflow.com/.../excel-macro-sometimes-incredibly-slow-in-excel-2016-but-not-in-excel-2010-high

Advice varies between different posts.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I see all these complaints. Will try some of the best practices described here blogs.office.com/.../
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Turning off ScreenUpdating alone reduced the time per file to 2 secs!
invoke ExcelObject "setScreenUpdating" using by value 0.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.