Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Please, Please, HELP!

I cannot get Visual COBOL for Visual Studion 2015 to install. No errors, just a hang which does not resolve. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I cannot get anything out of Microfocus whatsoever on this problem. They haven't even bothered approving my supportline registration.

Many thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: Please, Please, HELP!

Often the hang can be due to either a modal in the background, such as a dialog box asking your permission to proceed with the installation, or an ongoing download of prerequisite software, such as Microsoft C++ redistributables. For the latter, use Task Manager or Process Explorer to examine if you have significant disk I/O or network activity that would incidate download activity. More detail on your OS version, Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 environment, if present, would be helpful for next steps.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have the latest Visual Studio 2015 Community, on 64-bit Win10. There is no other prerequisite software being downloaded, and no prompts to continue. Oddly, even after the installation is cancelled, the msiexe fucntion continues to run, preventing any other installations until a restart is performed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

One or more install log files will be generated under the %temp% folder such as %temp%\Micro_Focus_Visual_COBOL_for_Visual_Studio_2015_nnnn.log.

Can you take a look at this log file and post any errors that you find?

Sometimes if there are Windows Updates pending on your system, the install cannot continue until you reboot and let the Windows Updates complete.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The strange thing is the log file reveals no errors! i've snipped an example. Note the times these were executed you will guage the scale of the hang.

[11EC:1398][2016-07-13T10:15:58]i304: Verified existing payload: visualcobolvisualstudio2015_23x64 at path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{F83BA428-BD5A-4498-AEB5-4BBB7AA1872B}v2.3.00134\visualcobolvisualstudio2015\visualcobolvisualstudio2015_23x64.msi.

[11EC:0E10][2016-07-13T11:35:06]e000: Error 0x80070642: Bootstrapper application aborted during EXE progress.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I have no idea why this is happening on your system. I have never seen this particular error before.

Can you try stopping your anti-virus software and see if that makes a difference?

Microsoft also recommends trying to start up a clean boot environment and try the install again to see if a particular driver or component is interfering with the install.

Instructions can be found:

support.microsoft.com/.../929135

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.