Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Puzzling copybook behaviour in VC for Eclipse

Jump to solution

The directory hierarchy on the AIX machine that I am using has been set up with a development user containing a 'sources' and a 'copies' directory, with .cbl in one and .cpy in the other.

Setting this up as a remote project in VC, I have created a symlink to the 'copies' directory in the 'sources' directory and mapped the project to the 'sources' directory. The copybook paths include the 'copies' directory, which is checked. The 'copies' directory shows up under the project, and if I go into it, I can load the copybooks into the editor.

The copybook files are all named in lower case and the names are in quotes.

If I "build project", all the copy statements fail "unknown copybook". However, if I open a program file in the editor and right-click on a copybook name and select "Open Copybook", the copybook opens in the editor.

I can work round this by putting the copybooks into the 'sources' directory.

I'm sure I've had this exact setup working properly a little while back, before I had to put VC on the back burner. It's bound to be something I've missed - has anyone got any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Puzzling copybook behaviour in VC for Eclipse

Jump to solution

It appears that my answer was to use project dependencies and set up the development and live copy directories as individual projects.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Mike, can you give me a bit more detail about the directory hierarchy?

Are Sources and Copies at the same level in the tree?

If so, have you tried creating your project at the directory above both of these?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Yes, sources and copies are at the same level - /devel/sources and /devel/copies in this case.

I haven't tried creating the project at the owning directory level. I'll give that a shot.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Having tried that, I can't see a way of using Visual COBOL with our existing directory structure which is very simplistic - /devel/sources and /devel/copies directories containing only the programs and copybooks currently under development and /live/sources and /live/copies containing the live programs and copybooks. Development paths are set to look in /devel and then /live. Creating a project at the /devel level also includes a host of other directories which I don't want in it, and at the /devel/sources level means I have the copybook problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

It appears that my answer was to use project dependencies and set up the development and live copy directories as individual projects.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.