Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Question in Visual Cobol for Eclipse

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 13 March 2012]

Hi,
i will try work with Visual Cobol for Eclipse.

In "Tutorial - Creating COBOL Applications in Eclipse"
and "Run your Application".

Do not have option "Double click on the COBOL Local Application tree item or", why ?

In my project do not have "COBOL Local Application" tree item.

Site:

http://127.0.0.1:49177/help/topic/com.microfocus.eclipse.help.windows/html/GUID-0F8F450A-B688-4566-B3E7-E3ACE3590D88.html

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

claudiomiguelmuller@hotmail.com

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Question in Visual Cobol for Eclipse

Jump to solution
I have discovered a somewhat bigger issue here that applies to the Visual COBOL R4 Update 2 for Eclipse product that will affect the tutorial as well as any other program that uses enhanced accept/display, (ADIS).

When running programs from inside Eclipse which require the default text window, the output is directed to the console. This means it is displayed in the console window inside Eclipse (view at the bottom) and because that doesn’t support ADIS, you may or may not see any output.

A workaround to this issue is to run the program using the Debug Perspective as it works just fine when debugging console applications.

This has been addressed in the next release, Visual COBOL 2.0 which is due out in April.

If you would like an early release of Visual COBOL 2.0, I can arrange this. Please send me an e-mail at chris.glazier@microfocus.com and I will send you the details.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
It appears as if the screenshot in the tutorial is incorrect.

It should say:

"Double click on the COBOL Application tree item"

instead.

Sorry about that.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
I have discovered a somewhat bigger issue here that applies to the Visual COBOL R4 Update 2 for Eclipse product that will affect the tutorial as well as any other program that uses enhanced accept/display, (ADIS).

When running programs from inside Eclipse which require the default text window, the output is directed to the console. This means it is displayed in the console window inside Eclipse (view at the bottom) and because that doesn’t support ADIS, you may or may not see any output.

A workaround to this issue is to run the program using the Debug Perspective as it works just fine when debugging console applications.

This has been addressed in the next release, Visual COBOL 2.0 which is due out in April.

If you would like an early release of Visual COBOL 2.0, I can arrange this. Please send me an e-mail at chris.glazier@microfocus.com and I will send you the details.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
It also noted that he had not run out of the eclipse console.

Thanks for warning of the new version,
if I find something else you step.

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Sorry, Visual Cobol "2.0" ?

nexte visual cobol, after visual cobol r4, will be visual cobol 2.0 ?

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
In new version of Visual Cobol 2.0 for eclipse
please include an example to do Cobol JVM project, Cobol JVM interface, Cobol JVM Class?

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Yes Visual COBOL 2.0 will be the next release to follow Visual COBOL R4 as R4 is really the 4th release of Visual COBOL 1.0.

If you look under the Start menu-->All Programs-->Visual COBOL 2010 group you should see an option for Visual COBOL Samples. Click on this and it will open up the Visual COBOL Samples Browser.

In the list of samples on the left select Eclipse and the list on the right will show you all of the samples that are currently available for the Eclipse product.

This list includes several JVM COBOL example programs.
If you highlight the example, the instructions below it will explain how to import the example into Eclipse and run it.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,
i try import project TICTAC and JVM Cobol to Native

and in both
i will build and run

when run, display the message:

An unhandled execption (COBOL Runtime error code 173) occurred in cblexecm.exe 3396.

What is this?

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.