Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Reading recommendations please

Hi all,

I am a experienced COBOL developer having used MF products for many years in Windows PC environments - currently Visual COBOL / Visual studio.  However my knowledge of direct Windows functions/api calls is more limited e.g. I launch a few apps to run scripts to find printers, display browser windows and manipulate MF Dialog System objects.  I'd like to learn about Windows programming from an MF and general perspective i.e. how to process windows objects, how they are structured, how I can use built in Visual Studio/.Net functions and so on.  As background I also use MySQL and program in PHP and javascript and have developed a few windows scripts.

Many thanks,

Linden

Linden Rowland - IT Consultant
Owner/Developer, www.SchoolReportWriter.com
IT Consultant to Tindle Newspaper Group

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

RE: Reading recommendations please

If you are programming Microsoft Window applications I recommend to use .NET managed code. So you have access to the Microsoft .NET functions (framework) for which you can find many information and examples in several communities. Have a look to my Web page www.lanter-edv.ch (select English) to get some more information. I probably can send you an example for several requirements.

Werner Lanter
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi. I discovered that there is a problem with the write.exe program. Using the DOS command line I went to the folder that contains the file TX000001.TXT. When I write the write command TX000001.TXT windows hangs for a few seconds and then ignores the command. Then I renamed the file as JAJA.TXT and wrote again write JAJA.TXT then it ran fine. This is a mystery because, as I said before, this only happens in the new PCs with windows 10. At this point I do not know what to do. It's not a rmcobol problem, that's what he said.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

You probably choose the wrong case.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks everyone for your help. Finally I decided to replace "WRITE" with "NOTEPAD".
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.