Highlighted
New Member.

Relativity and ODBC connections

Jump to solution

New to Relativity and not finding documentation on all the various dll files and drivers. Can anyone give me a listing of the various dll files and drivers and how they are using them?  From what I have obtained so far the Data Manager driver would be used by Designer for DSN access to the catalog, but you are also able to select the Data Client, Data Client for ADO, Relativity DBA, and Data Server in the Designer product. If I understand correctly the Data Client for ADO is used in SQL linked servers and also for other Visual Studio projects that need to access the Cobol data. Is that correct and what about the other drivers? Also I am working with another developer to have connection strings into the catalog - since I set up the DSN using the Data Client for ADO does that mean they need to use one of the dll files under Relativity Data Client folder?  All replies appreciated.

This is what I see and I just need direction is what to share with my developer that is relavant.

Relativity Designer driver with the following dll files - obviously some of them are internal for compiling and creating the file layouts

KenlyGenProcessor.dll

kenlygenprocessor222.dll

RelCblAst.dll

relhp32.dll

relimporter.dll

relutl32.dll

Rstlmp.dll

ssubtmr6.dll

tdbgpp.dll

Relativity Data Client with the following dll files

relADC32.dll

relcln32.dll

relcs32m.dll

relfmf32.dll

relink32.dll

Relativity Data Manager with the following dll files

reldbm32.dll

relfmf32.dll

relstp32.dll

Relativity Data Server with the following dll files

reldbmsg.dll

reldbsrv.dll

relfmf32.dll

relstp32.dll

Relativity DBA with the following dll files

relhlp32.dll

relutl32.dll

tdbgpp.dll

Tags (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

RE: Relativity and ODBC connections

Jump to solution

<<Can anyone give me a listing of the various dll files and drivers and how they are using them?>>

Why do you want this? The installation takes care of all the DLLs.  I certainly hope you aren't planning on installing the DLLs yourself.  To quote a phrase, "There are no user serviceable part inside."

<<From what I have obtained so far the Data Manager driver would be used by Designer for DSN access to the catalog, but you are also able to select the Data Client, Data Client for ADO, Relativity DBA, and Data Server in the Designer product.>>

The Data Manager accesses a single-tier data source, that is one in which the data is on the same machine as the ODBC application.

The Data Client and the Data Client for ADO access a client/server data source, that is one in which the data is on a different machine from the ODBC application.  This configuration, of course, requires that a Data Server be installed on the machine with the data.

You can not access the Relativity DBA or Data Server directly from the Designer, at least not as a driver.  (It is true that, is the Data Server is installed on a Windows machine, a Relativity Data Server driver appears in the list of ODBC drivers, but this is for creating Server Data Sources directly on the Windows machine without using the Server Administrator.  It is NOT intended to be used for data access.

<<If I understand correctly the Data Client for ADO is used in SQL linked servers and also for other Visual Studio projects that need to access the Cobol data.>>

ADO is a database interface that Microsoft developed to replace ODBC, but it never did replace ODBC.  ADO has the ability to connect to an ODBC data source under the covers, allowing an ADO application to still access ODBC drivers, like Relativity.  Unfortunately, while ADO to ODBC connection works, it seems to work best with other Microsoft ODBC drivers.  The ADO version of Relativity was introduced to work better with applications using ADO.

<<Is that correct and what about the other drivers>>

The only other real driver is the Data Manager, and it also has an ADO version.  The Data Server driver does NOT have an ADO version. Use the Data Client one instead.

<<Also I am working with another developer to have connection strings into the catalog - since I set up the DSN using the Data Client for ADO does that mean they need to use one of the dll files under Relativity Data Client folder?>>

I have no idea what you're asking about here.  What are you trying to accomplish?  Please don't worry about the DLL's.

At lot of this is described in the Release Notes.  Please read them.

Michael Schultz
Software System Developer - Senior Principal

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

<<when do I use just Data Client?>>

One answer is to use always use the Data Client until you run into a problem with an ADO application not working on it.  But, to be honest, you can just use the Data Client for ADO everywhere if that works best for you.  Even the Designer will be able to work with it.

Michael Schultz

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

In cases such as these, it would be best to let SupportLine tell you what type of tracing to generate.

Michael Schultz

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

<<Can anyone give me a listing of the various dll files and drivers and how they are using them?>>

Why do you want this? The installation takes care of all the DLLs.  I certainly hope you aren't planning on installing the DLLs yourself.  To quote a phrase, "There are no user serviceable part inside."

<<From what I have obtained so far the Data Manager driver would be used by Designer for DSN access to the catalog, but you are also able to select the Data Client, Data Client for ADO, Relativity DBA, and Data Server in the Designer product.>>

The Data Manager accesses a single-tier data source, that is one in which the data is on the same machine as the ODBC application.

The Data Client and the Data Client for ADO access a client/server data source, that is one in which the data is on a different machine from the ODBC application.  This configuration, of course, requires that a Data Server be installed on the machine with the data.

You can not access the Relativity DBA or Data Server directly from the Designer, at least not as a driver.  (It is true that, is the Data Server is installed on a Windows machine, a Relativity Data Server driver appears in the list of ODBC drivers, but this is for creating Server Data Sources directly on the Windows machine without using the Server Administrator.  It is NOT intended to be used for data access.

<<If I understand correctly the Data Client for ADO is used in SQL linked servers and also for other Visual Studio projects that need to access the Cobol data.>>

ADO is a database interface that Microsoft developed to replace ODBC, but it never did replace ODBC.  ADO has the ability to connect to an ODBC data source under the covers, allowing an ADO application to still access ODBC drivers, like Relativity.  Unfortunately, while ADO to ODBC connection works, it seems to work best with other Microsoft ODBC drivers.  The ADO version of Relativity was introduced to work better with applications using ADO.

<<Is that correct and what about the other drivers>>

The only other real driver is the Data Manager, and it also has an ADO version.  The Data Server driver does NOT have an ADO version. Use the Data Client one instead.

<<Also I am working with another developer to have connection strings into the catalog - since I set up the DSN using the Data Client for ADO does that mean they need to use one of the dll files under Relativity Data Client folder?>>

I have no idea what you're asking about here.  What are you trying to accomplish?  Please don't worry about the DLL's.

At lot of this is described in the Release Notes.  Please read them.

Michael Schultz

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

No worries Mike, I am not trying to install any dll files. Just trying to understand the Relativity product. The only Release Notes I have are in regard to installing Designer so the references to the other drivers is not there. If there is another document I would be grateful for knowledge of where it is. Also I originally had some connections using the Data Client and after getting bad data with decimal values I learned about the ADO driver so I am just trying to get an overall view to avoid mistakes and having to redo things down the road. A previous ODBC connector that we use required the use of a certain dll when doing connections from Visual Studio solutions and that was the main thing my co-worker was asking about.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

<<A previous ODBC connector that we use required the use of a certain dll when doing connections from Visual Studio solutions and that was the main thing my co-worker was asking about.>>

Hmmm. I have no idea what the "previous ODBC connector" did, but with ODBC, you just establish the connection using the Data Source Name used with the data source was created.  The ODBC driver manager takes care of loading the correct DLL.  It would appear that the previous solution encountered the same issues with ADO that Relativity did, and they solved it with a separate DLL. Relativity also has a separate DLL for ADO access, but it is associated with the "for ADO" drivers.

So, to be clear, the same Relativity catalog may be used with both a Relativity Data Manager driver and a Relativity Data Manager for ADO driver.  I'm not sure about the performance of doing this, so I would not recommend using that in a production environment.  (Just make a copy the developed catalog and create the separate ADO data source to the copy of the catalog.)

Michael Schultz

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

Very helpful thank you. So to be clear if I use Data Client for ADO for linked servers and for data connection strings when do I use just Data Client?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

<<when do I use just Data Client?>>

One answer is to use always use the Data Client until you run into a problem with an ADO application not working on it.  But, to be honest, you can just use the Data Client for ADO everywhere if that works best for you.  Even the Designer will be able to work with it.

Michael Schultz

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

That makes things clearer with the Data Client. Thank you. Where does Relativity DBA fit into the picture?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Jump to solution

The DBA, or Database Administrator, is similar to the Relativity Designer in design, but it has reduced functionality.  It has the ability to modify a Relativity catalog after installation at the End User site.  It can be used to change the name of the data files that the tables open, but more importantly, it can be used to add users to the security groups and set passwords.

Michael Schultz

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks. Hopefully a quick question. In using a linked server connection and OpenQuery  I have run across a couple of times where an automated background process blows up. Is there a log file I can examine and possibly put in a supportline issue?  My server is running on Redhat Linux box and I have 50 client licenses and I have replicated once by running several large queries at once. Here is the error

Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "InternetData". [SQLSTATE 42000](Error 7330) OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "InternetData" returned message '[Micro Focus][Relativity][Client][Client LNA] Client cannot communicate with RelServer due to a network error (RPC = 2, Error = 132)".[SQLSTATE 01000](Error 7412)

Highlighted

Jump to solution

In cases such as these, it would be best to let SupportLine tell you what type of tracing to generate.

Michael Schultz

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

I will take it up with SupportLine - thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.