Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Remote Cobol Projectes and command Line Utilities: Incompatibility problems

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 05 December 2011]

I have a Remote Project "Program4" in VisualCobol Eclipse that only display a message. I’ve built it and I’ve generated the “Callable Shared Object” "Program4.so".

I have another Remote Project "Program1" that calls Program4. I’ve built it and I’ve generated the executable "Program1".

Finally I’ve executed “Program 1” from the remote machine and it works correctly.

The first problem I’ve found is that if I try to execute “Program4.so”, from the remote machine, directly with cobrun command, I receive the next error
Load error : file ' Program4.so '                                     
error code: 253, pc=0, call=1, seg=0                                           
253    Cannot load file - unsupported format

But, if I rebuild “Program4.so” from the remote machine with the cob command:
cob –z Program4.cbl –U
then “cobrun Program4.so” works correctly.

Finally, If I execute “Program1” again, with the new “Program4.so”, I receive the error:
Load error : file 'Program4.so'                                                                           
error code: 198, pc=0, call=1, seg=0                                           
198     Load failure   

It seems that exists some kind of incompatibility between the Eclipse environment and the command line utilities.. Is it possible? There is some kind of configuration to avoid this problem?

Thank you
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi, I suspect that you may be trying to run a 32bit shared object with a 64 bit runtime. By default Eclipse build configurations build 32 bit, however, cobrun is 64 bit by default. If you build the object in Eclipse and then use cobrun32 does it work?

To change the default mode, you can set the environment COBMODE to 32.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi, I suspect that you may be trying to run a 32bit shared object with a 64 bit runtime. By default Eclipse build configurations build 32 bit, however, cobrun is 64 bit by default. If you build the object in Eclipse and then use cobrun32 does it work?

To change the default mode, you can set the environment COBMODE to 32.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.