Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Run application in windows 8.

Jump to solution

I'm currently working in a project to run COBOL applications in windows 7 and windows 8.  The application runs flawless in windows 7 but I cant make it work in windows 8. Any idea how to deal with this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Run application in windows 8.

Jump to solution

So you are compiling with Visual COBOL 2.2 update 1.

That means that you need to download and install the COBOL Server 2.2 update 1 in order to correctly run your application.

This is available for download from the Supportline Product Updates site.

If you are compiling with dialect OSVS then you will not be able to make ACU calls as OSVS is for strict compatibility with the mainframe.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi, all should be fine on Win8. Can I check how you installed the COBOL Server modules? Did you use the Micro Focus installer? Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

In the windows 8 computer there is nothing installed. Is a fresh windows install.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

So you have not installed the COBOL Server product on the Windows 8 computer, is that correct?

That is really essential to getting this to run correctly as COBOL Server contains all of the required run-time files that appear to be missing.

Did you simply copy your program over to the Windows 8 computer or are you running from a network?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

At first it was a simple copy, then installed cobolserver21_update1_2010 (the only file i had)

Now I get this

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I think the problem now is in my code.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Edited the code and added a CALL "C$SLEEP" USING "10" at the beginning. Now I get 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The COBOL Server version 2.1 update 1 2010 is an older product release.

The version of COBOL Server that you use must match to the product version under which the application was compiled.

What Visual COBOL product version are you using to compile and with what version of Visual Studio are you running?

You can get the version information by opening Visual Studio selecting Help-->About Visual Studio and then clicking on Visual COBOL entry.

If you are using ACU calls then I believe you need to compile with the DIALECT"ACU" directive.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Micro Focus Visual COBOL 2.2 Version 2.2.01220.

the dialect directive im using is OSVS

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

So you are compiling with Visual COBOL 2.2 update 1.

That means that you need to download and install the COBOL Server 2.2 update 1 in order to correctly run your application.

This is available for download from the Supportline Product Updates site.

If you are compiling with dialect OSVS then you will not be able to make ACU calls as OSVS is for strict compatibility with the mainframe.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Any links? I don't see a COBOL server update in the options.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Found it ! the cs2010_221.exe file i had didnt run. Downloaded a new one and the program runs perfectly. THANK YOU !

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.