Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Runtime error on Sort

I am getting a runtime error performing a Sort. The extended File Sttus is 011. Which according to the documentation (if I am reading it right) states that it is the following. How can I get this to work?

COBRT011 Process limit reached (Fatal)

One of the following has occurred:
  • The run-time system cannot create a new process as the operating system limit on the total number of processes per user or system-wide would be exceeded.
  • Insufficient memory is available to complete the operation.

Resolution:

Terminate any processes that you are no longer using, or make more memory available.

Your operating system might enable you to increase the maximum number of processes allowed. Refer to your operating system documentation for further information.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Runtime error on Sort

What product version and OS are you running under?

If this is a very large file it is possible that you are running out of memory.

Take a look in the product docs under environment variables SORTSPACE, SORTTEMPSPACE and SORTSCHEME as setting these to a higher value may resolve this problem.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 7 and Visual Cobol 2.2. Is there a way environment variables can be set in the Visual Studio IDE or must they be set programatically.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can now set environment variables for when you run native projects from within the IDE from the project's properties - click Environment on the Application tab in the project properties.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What about managed code, there is no Environment on the Application tab to click.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

For managed code you need to add an app.config file to the main executable project.

Right click on project select Add-->New Item-->Application Configuration file.

You can then right click on this file and select Edit and you can add environment variables there.

If this doesn't solve the problem, i would recommend that you open up a support incident with customer care.

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.