Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Runtime running in Windows XP Embedded?

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 04 January 2012]

Hello,

We are meaning to perform a demo using Visual COBOL for our executive team, but we also want this demo to be running in a computer that has Windows XP Embedded (it is a computer with a tactile screen). The machine is a Toshiba WILLPOS A-20. Our provider has told us that is 100% compatible with Windows XP, but it hasn't all the services activated, so I tried to activate all the services I could, but the license installation keeps crashing.

Do you happen to know what kind of problem is all about?

Thanks
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Runtime running in Windows XP Embedded?

Jump to solution
You can try the following on your development machine and then redeploy your application.

In Visual Studio just set the "Copy Local" property to True for the reference to "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks" by clicking "Show All Files" in solution explorer.

Then rebuild the Solution and the required Powerpacks library will be included with your exe in your "bin" directory and will be deployment-ready.

Note: Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll may also need to be copied to the local bin folder by setting its "Copy Local" property to true.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Can you please provide us with the exact error that you are receiving?
Does Visual COBOL install correctly and then fail when you start it or when you try to license it?

As much detail as possible would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The error is appearing when installing the 'Micro Focus License Manager':

The installacion package cannot be opened. Get in touch with the app's manufacturer to check if this is a valid Windows Installer package (translation from spanish).

Nothing is registered as warnings or errors in Event Viewer.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
We have never tested this on Windows XP Embedded, and if certain system components are not installed or enabled, the results are unknown.

Is this Visual COBOL or COBOL Runtime that you are trying to install?

If it is Visual COBOL, did Visual Studio install OK?

Could you pleasze e-mail to me the installation logs for the product you are installing?
They can be found in the %temp% folder.

chris.glazier@microfocus.com

thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I have just sent to you the file required.

Thank you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I forgot to mention that I need to install only the runtime environment. I do not need to develop anything on this machine.

Regards
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
We finally installed Windows XP in that machine, and the runtime installation was successful.

But I obtain this error when trying to execute my Visual COBOL app:

"Unhandled Exception: FileNotFoundException
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublickeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. System cannot found the specified file.
at Void EOS.Form1.InitializeComponent()
Void .ctor()
at Void EOS.Main.Main()"

PS: I forgot to mention that, after that, I have also installed Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks version 3.0, without success.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
You can try the following on your development machine and then redeploy your application.

In Visual Studio just set the "Copy Local" property to True for the reference to "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks" by clicking "Show All Files" in solution explorer.

Then rebuild the Solution and the required Powerpacks library will be included with your exe in your "bin" directory and will be deployment-ready.

Note: Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll may also need to be copied to the local bin folder by setting its "Copy Local" property to true.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.