Highlighted
New Member.

Runtime switch and compile options questions

Jump to solution

I have 2 questions that I have not been able to find the answers to in any documentation:

1)  Our Net Express 3.1 application used a run time switch of +K4.   What does that run time option do?  We are migrating to Visual Cobol and was wondering if we should keep that switch in our new environment.

2)  One of our consultants used a -N option when linking a program (cbllink.exe) from a command line in Visual Cobol 2.0.   What does the -N option do?

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Runtime switch and compile options questions

Jump to solution

As previously answered in the thread above:

COBSW=+K4  = The only thing it does is cause a pause to occur after a RTS error is displayed so that you can always read the RTS message.

-N with cbllink is “no banner”.. aka passes /nologo option to various other commands in order to suppress output messages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The COBSW=+K4 run-time switch is a holdover from the Workbench product I believe.

It has not been documented in any version of Net Express yet I tested it under NX 5.1 and Visual COBOL 2.0 and it still appears to be functional.

The only thing it does is cause a pause to occur after a RTS error is displayed so that you can always read the RTS message.

I have never heard of the cbllink option -N.

Can you please show me what the entire cbllink command line looks like?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I have been told that the -N option means the following:

-N with cbllink is “no banner”.. aka passes /nologo option to various other commands.

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution

%COBBIN%\cbllink.exe -O%OUTBIN%\%THEPROG%.dll -D -N -FM %OUTBIN%\%THEPROG%.obj

where COBBIN = c:\Program Files\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL 2010\bin

and OUTBIN = c:\Compiled

and THEPROG = any cobol filename

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

As previously answered in the thread above:

COBSW=+K4  = The only thing it does is cause a pause to occur after a RTS error is displayed so that you can always read the RTS message.

-N with cbllink is “no banner”.. aka passes /nologo option to various other commands in order to suppress output messages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.