Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Shipping developed VISCOBOL R3 applications??

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 07 April 2011]

Could someone point me in the direction of any documentation which gives a step-by-step guide into HOW, once a product in VISCOBOL R3 has been developed, can be then shipped to users.

I understand about the licencing & COBOL 2010 runtime requirements but I can't seem to find a simple guide into how to put it all together from scratch.

If we're to assume that I'll ship the WHOLE of the COBOL 2010 runtime then WHERE is this found and how do I package it up? How do I un-package it on the users PC? I don't seem to have the COBOL2010RUNTIME3.exe on my PC even though I installed both VIS STUDIO and VISCOBOL R3 so where can I find it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
So Micro Focus finally solved the problem...

In their words..."It was the license type that was wrong. You were given a license for SolarNativeRuntime which was used for release R1 and R2. However, you are using R3 and as such need a license for SolarNativeRuntimeDeploy".

Any one out there with the same kinda problem you now know how to solve it!

🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
The documentation can be found here:

The COBOLRuntime 2010 product is a separate product from the Visual COBOL development product and needs to be purchased separately.

Please contact sales.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I'm confused!

We hold licences for VISCOBOL 2010 R3 + COBOL 2010 Runtime Test Server.

We initially downloaded an evaluation version of VISCOBOL 2010 R3 before purchasing appropriate licences.

Which product are we missing in order to install our developed applications on user pcs?

Can you provide a link to WHERE these other necessary products can be obtained?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
If you have a valid serial number and licenses for the products you can download them from our Product Updates site at:

Product Updates

You will need to Register a login for your Serial Number on this web site.
If you have any questions or problems in doing this, please call your local Supportline and they will set this up for you.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Great...but...

I downloaded the full installer (COBOL2010RuntimeR3.exe) and copied that onto our target PC.

This was then executed and the licencing software intalled successfully.

I then entered our autorisation code to use the product and this was authorised successfully.

The content of our developed VISCOBOL code was then copied onto our target pc and we attempted to run it.

The following error occured...'Error Code 245 - There are no valid product licences'.

What am I missing??
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
You should contact Supportline and create an incident for this issue as I believe that we may need to give you a new license key for the COBOLRuntime 2010 product.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Have a 3 page 'incident' open with Microfocus about how all this works (or doesn't).

Will update this page with the solution once I get one as I'm sure other people may benefit from a resolution to this!

At time of writing it appears I am unable to put developed VISCOBOL applications on a 'clean' pc and have them run.

If anyone out there has done this already then please let me know!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
I am not sure what you mean by "Clean PC"?

In order to run a developed Visual COBOL application on a computer other than the development machine, you MUST have the COBOLRuntime 2010 product installed and you must have a valid license for each user that will be running the application.

The production computer must also have the appropriate .NET Framework versions installed.

This is a requirement for running Visual COBOL applications.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Chris,

If you have access to the support database the SupportLine Incident #2511995 may be worth a look at!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Looks like development is taking a look.

In the meantime try the following:

delete the file lservrc.stn - this holds temporary licenses and is no longer needed.
Edit lservrc.net:

delete the first blank line...
delete the entries starting with 10 SolarNativeRuntimeTest

You should now just have the one line starting with 10 SolarNativeRuntime 1.0 LONG

Save this and restart the License Manager Service using Administrative Tools->Services

Any luck?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Nope....exactly the same error when launching my app!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
So Micro Focus finally solved the problem...

In their words..."It was the license type that was wrong. You were given a license for SolarNativeRuntime which was used for release R1 and R2. However, you are using R3 and as such need a license for SolarNativeRuntimeDeploy".

Any one out there with the same kinda problem you now know how to solve it!

🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.