Highlighted
Austin1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Side-by-side versions possible on same development and production machine?

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but for the record ...

My understanding is that Microsoft allows different versions of Visual Studio (for example VS 2013 and VS 2019) to coexist "side-by-side" on the same development PC.  And even different versions of .Net to coexist on the same server.

My question(s):

1) Does Micro Focus allow different versions of Visual COBOL to coexist on the same development PC?

2) And different versions of COBOL Server to coexist on the same hardware server or same virtual server?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Side-by-side versions possible on same development and production machine?

Jump to solution

Hi.

This scenario is not tested but I believe its possible to have Visual COBOL 2.2 for Visual Studio 2013 and Visual COBOL 5.0 for Visual Studio 2019 installed on the same machine.

The side by side co-existence has existed has been around for a while, certainly since before 4.0.

Its difficult to make a blanket statement about how the Visual COBOL installers work with each other as they change from release to release due to requirements from the Visual Studio releases and the platform we support.

5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi.

1) Does Micro Focus allow different versions of Visual COBOL to coexist on the same development PC?

Yes.  You can have Visual COBOL 5.0 2017, Visual COBOL 5.0 2019 and Visual COBOL for Eclipse installed on the same machine.   Visual COBOL 4.0 follows a similar pattern.

2) And different versions of COBOL Server to coexist on the same hardware server or same virtual server?

No.  Only one instance of COBOL Server can be installed on a machine.  If you have COBOL Server 4.0 installed and install 5.0, it will replace the 4.0 installation.

This only applies to Windows.  On Unix/Linux you can have as many product install combinations as you like.

Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you @StephenKennington 

What about the following more specific scenario?

Given an existing development PC which currently has Visual Studio 2013 and Visual COBOL 2.2 already installed, we now want to also install Visual Studio 2019 and Visual COBOL 5.0 as a side-by-side arrangement so that both the old arrangement and the new arrangement coexist on this same PC?

(The reason that I am asking this follow-up question is, based on the wording of your previous answer, that I am now wondering if this side-by-side capability is possible only starting from Visual COBOL 4.0 forward.)

Thanks

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi.

This scenario is not tested but I believe its possible to have Visual COBOL 2.2 for Visual Studio 2013 and Visual COBOL 5.0 for Visual Studio 2019 installed on the same machine.

The side by side co-existence has existed has been around for a while, certainly since before 4.0.

Its difficult to make a blanket statement about how the Visual COBOL installers work with each other as they change from release to release due to requirements from the Visual Studio releases and the platform we support.

Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

@StephenKennington ,

From a recent Forum entry elsewhere (see "Multiple Versions of COBOL Developer on same laptop?"), it appears that different versions of Visual COBOL can NOT be installed on the same development machine in a simultaneous side-by-side arrangement.  Please confirm or not here, as I would not want someone reading this forum entry to jump to the wrong conclusion.   Thanks

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@StephenKennington and I had a discussion after this thread, and after running some tests, we came to a conclusion it is no longer possible to install multiple versions of Visual COBOL on the same machine the same way with the older versions.

–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.