Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Solution placement??

Jump to solution

When I create a NEW project in Visual COBOL I'm allowed to selected a LOCATION where I want the new project to go.

Even though we have several 'network drives' designated as G:, H:, S: W: etc these 'drives' do not appear in the Project location box when choosing 'My Computer' as the first place to go. It only shows my 'local' C: & 😧 drives off the 'My Computer' box.

How do I see the network drives that are available as when I look at what I have available through Windows Explorer and  click on the 'My Computer' box there I see ALL availble drives including those that are on our network?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Solution placement??

Jump to solution

Chris,

Network drives are invisible in the selection box when attempting to create a new solution on a drive other than your local ones HOWEVER you can phyically type in the path you're looking for in the box and it will then find the drive along with all associated sub-folders.

e.g if you know you want to place a solution on the S: then type 'S:\' in the Folder box when you're choosing where to create the new solution and a dropdown with ALL the folders found on the S: WILL then appear.

Strange but true 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Are you running Visual Studio as an Administrator?

I found the following article which explains that this seems to be an issue with Windows 7 UAC and how permissions are granted when running certain applications as Administrator.

The article contains a couple of links which show that by adding a registry value you should be able to get this working.

Alternatively, specifying the full UNC to a share name or just entering the mapped drive letter (even though it does not appear in the list) should also work.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I'm actually running Windows XP and NOT as an administrator.

For development purposes we have explorer access to all drives but we're not 'administrators' per say. For normal day to day operational activities I have access to all network drives but when running Visual COBOL IDE R2 these drives don't appear as drives available to access work from.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I do not see this problem under Windows XP.

I have mapped drive letters and they all show up as selectable when creating a new project.

If you enter the desired drive letter manually in the project name or use the UNC name for the location does Visual Studio create the project in the desired location?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Adding in a project on the 'New Project' tab as s:\pay WILL create a project there and the S: then becomes visible when attempting to open an existing project in the 'My Computer' box.

If you don't type in a networked drive and use the 'My Computer' box as a way of adding a new project then the network drives appear to be invisible by default. Only if you add a new project MANUALLY do the drives then appear for use.

Perhaps a bug fix for R3??

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I cannot reproduce this problem here.

Can you please open up a Support Incident with Customer Care so that we can RPI the behavior and track Developments response to the issue?

Thanks.

BTW, the current product release is called Visual COBOL 2.0 and the next release will be Visual COBOL 2.1 and so on.

Visual COBOL R2, R3 and R4 refer to previous releases of Visual COBOL 1.0.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Done. I'll let you know IF they fix it!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Apparently this is a problem with Windows XP.

Well thats all sorted!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Can you please provide more details on what the actual problem is and if there is a workaround?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Chris,

Network drives are invisible in the selection box when attempting to create a new solution on a drive other than your local ones HOWEVER you can phyically type in the path you're looking for in the box and it will then find the drive along with all associated sub-folders.

e.g if you know you want to place a solution on the S: then type 'S:\' in the Folder box when you're choosing where to create the new solution and a dropdown with ALL the folders found on the S: WILL then appear.

Strange but true 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Thanks Mark.

I don't see this behavior on my XP system as all of my mapped drives do show up in the list so it must be something specific to the configuration of Windows or the network in your environment.

Anyway, I am glad that you have a workaround!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.