Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Study and/or learning books about R3

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 25 January 2011]

Does anyone know if there are any good books out there about Visual COBOL R3? I cannot find any at our local webstores (in the Netherlands that is).

If there are any books already available can anyone recommend any title?

I myself am new to COBOL but I do have a thourough knowledge of OO concepts. I am searching for a reasonably quick headstart (e.g. 'for dummies' style) and not really for an in-depth 'bible' style book.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: Study and/or learning books about R3

Jump to solution
Hi Robert,

we have two WBTs - one is an Introduction to COBOL "COBOL for Business Success" which focuses on the COBOL language structure, constructs etc and then the Visuyal COBOL 2010 Developer class which covers not only the tool, developing in Visual COBOL but also the OO extensions to COBOL to support this.

Each WBT costs $600 which provdes access to the Web based content, guides and class files. Access is then vailable for 31 days from purchase.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Robert,

We don't have any yet unfortunately. There is a web based training course available and we're working on how we can get a book or something like it created. Keep watching this site for more tutorials and blogs that should be of interest.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated. Although these are not books, it does seem to cover a lot of ground. What is the pricing of these courses? I may overlook those but I was not able to find information about pricing. We'll have to consider that if we want to apply.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Sorry Robert, I don't know. You can submit a query at http://www.microfocus.com/education-services/course-catalog/contact.aspx
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Robert, I'd also recommend you browse the Core .NET samples we provide with R3.

To find these, open the Visual COBOL Samples link on the Start Menu and then select the COBOL for .NET category. The Core.NET solution is the place to start and then you can explore all the other areas such as arrays, interfaces and so on.

The nice thing is that you can step through these samples to see what's happening and using the debugger features to help better understand the behaviour of the syntax.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution
Hi Robert,

we have two WBTs - one is an Introduction to COBOL "COBOL for Business Success" which focuses on the COBOL language structure, constructs etc and then the Visuyal COBOL 2010 Developer class which covers not only the tool, developing in Visual COBOL but also the OO extensions to COBOL to support this.

Each WBT costs $600 which provdes access to the Web based content, guides and class files. Access is then vailable for 31 days from purchase.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for the replies - I'll look into the .net source and try figuring out how things work. I do have to say it's a bit of a missed opportunity study books aren't available. I have used Borland products in the past and I vividly remember the solid square box of books that came with the development suite.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
That brings back some memories--I remember the box of docs that came with those Borland products. I don't think I've seen a development tool shipped with a paper manual for at least the last 10 years or so.

I guess I'm just old-fashioned but I do like learning from a book as opposed to a pdf file but anymore you end up having to buy them from 3rd parties.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.