Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Suggestions on XML validation and transforms?

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 23 August 2011]

Any suggestions for a platform-independent method for:
- Validating an XML file (with XSD)
- Transforming an XML file (using XSL/XSLT)

I am working with AIX and Windows.

Is there support in the Micro Focus toolset for either of these functions?

Thanks
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Suggestions on XML validation and transforms?

Jump to solution
Hi Mark -

Thanks for the info. Here is some good info for you...

I was just reviewing the release notes for the VC 2010 R4 demo and I find mention of support for the RM/Cobol XML extensions. Checking the noted documentation I find this is an insanely great decision! The XML extensions, among other useful things, support validation and transforms!

I need confirmation that these extensions will be supported going forward for people not using RM syntax.

Cheers!

XML Extensions
You can now use XML Extensions, the system that enables your COBOL applications to interact with XML
documents, with Visual COBOL.
XML Extensions has many capabilities. The major features support the ability to import and export XML
documents to and from COBOL working storage. Specifically, XML Extensions allows data to be imported
from an XML document by converting data elements (as necessary) and storing the results into a matching
COBOL data structure. Similarly, data is exported from a COBOL data structure by converting the COBOL
data elements (as necessary) and storing the results in an XML document.
For more information about XML Extensions, refer to the XML Extensions User's Guide, available from the
RM/COBOL product documentation set, in the SupportLine section of the Micro Focus Web site.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
While I'm not familiar with the entire Micro Focus product set, I don't think that Micro Focus has a specific offering for this. However, there are numerous commercial and open source tools in this space.

If you're looking to develop schemas and transforms, then you can use Visual Studio and several other commercial products on Windows. For cross-platform use, there are some plug-ins available for Eclipse.

However, for almost all of the XSD and XSLT I've developed within Micro Focus, I have just used the open source Saxon library (written in Java). This has both command-line and programmable interfaces. This has the benefit that it is also ideally suited for production use.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Mark -

Thanks for the info. Here is some good info for you...

I was just reviewing the release notes for the VC 2010 R4 demo and I find mention of support for the RM/Cobol XML extensions. Checking the noted documentation I find this is an insanely great decision! The XML extensions, among other useful things, support validation and transforms!

I need confirmation that these extensions will be supported going forward for people not using RM syntax.

Cheers!

XML Extensions
You can now use XML Extensions, the system that enables your COBOL applications to interact with XML
documents, with Visual COBOL.
XML Extensions has many capabilities. The major features support the ability to import and export XML
documents to and from COBOL working storage. Specifically, XML Extensions allows data to be imported
from an XML document by converting data elements (as necessary) and storing the results into a matching
COBOL data structure. Similarly, data is exported from a COBOL data structure by converting the COBOL
data elements (as necessary) and storing the results in an XML document.
For more information about XML Extensions, refer to the XML Extensions User's Guide, available from the
RM/COBOL product documentation set, in the SupportLine section of the Micro Focus Web site.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.