Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Tooltip behavior in managed COBOL

Jump to solution
Does "Show OCCURS or reference modification value" work in managed COBOL? I have it set (checked) in Debug>Options and settings..., Debugging>Micro Focus COBOL, under Tooltip style. And yet while debugging a managed COBOL class and stopped at a breakpoint, hovering over a reference modified alphanumeric variable displays the entire value vice just the referenced portion; i.e., hovering over SEL-ERATE (1:3) displays "EMN2 " instead of "EMN". And more troubling is hovering over a subscripted variable displays the value of the first element regardless of the value of the subscript: i.e., hovering over LST-UIC (X) where X has the value 13 displays the value in LST-UIC (1) vice the expected value in LST-UIC (13). Clicking the triangle icon at the left end of the Tooltip does display a scrollable list for the LST-UIC array, but this is clunky when the array is hundreds of elements long. What have I missed in trying to get the Tooltip to exhibit the desired behavior?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

RE: Tooltip behavior in managed COBOL

Jump to solution

VC for VS2013 2.3 Update 2.

OK, I was getting myself confused by hovering over OCCURS variables in the Procedure Division and in Working Storage.  The behavior is different between these two locations, but the consistent between native and managed code.

My apologies.  I guess I developed a hair trigger after my issues with File Status on hover and conditional breakpoints.

Thank you for your support.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I just tested this here using VC for VS2015 2.3 update 2 and both reference modified and subscripted items display correctly when I hover over them in debug and the option for COBOL Debug Tooltip Style is set to  Show COBOL occurs or referenced modified value.

In 2.3 update 2 this option has been moved to the context menu which is displayed when you right-click while debugging is in effect.

What product version are you using?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

VC for VS2013 2.3 Update 2.

OK, I was getting myself confused by hovering over OCCURS variables in the Procedure Division and in Working Storage.  The behavior is different between these two locations, but the consistent between native and managed code.

My apologies.  I guess I developed a hair trigger after my issues with File Status on hover and conditional breakpoints.

Thank you for your support.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.