Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Uninstall Issue - Messages say I need to Uninstall Visual COBOL - But it is uninstalled

Jump to solution

I just got Visual COBOL 5.0 Yesterday, and installed it.  Then I went to install the COBOL Server for windows, and received an error that I cannot install that until Visual COBOL 2017 has been uninstalled.

So, I went and uninstalled Visual COBOL - and I am still getting the same error.

Windows doesn't show Visual COBOL as an installed program any more, so I don't know where it is finding it.

I have attached my log file.

AmyM1_0-1585056206567.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Uninstall Issue - Messages say I need to Uninstall Visual COBOL - But it is uninstalled

Jump to solution

I am by no means an expert on the installation process or installation issues, but:

1. Have you rebooted since running the uninstallation? It should have told you if that was necessary, but it might be worth a try. If you don't want to reboot unnecessarily, you can use a utility such as pendmoves from Microsoft SysInternals to see if there are any pending file operations.
  2. The log says the installation is failing because it found the string "Micro Focus Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2017" in the Registry (in the appropriate place). That string appears under HKLM\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\5.0 as the data of the VCVS2017ProductName value, at least on my machine. So you could try deleting the entire 5.0 key and all its subkeys using regedit or similar.

In the past, when I've run into a problem like this, I've sometimes extracted individual MSIs from the installer executable and run manual uninstallations against them one at a time using msiexec. That's not a trivial process, though. Just deleting the registry key and installing the new product ought to overwrite everything.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Betreff: Uninstall Issue - Messages say I need to Uninstall Visual COBOL - But it is uninstalled

Jump to solution
Go to the System preferences and uninstall Visual Cobol 5.0 first!
What have you for os System? Win7, Win8, Win10?
What is the Version of Visual Studio? 2017 or 2019
What is the Version of Visual Cobol? Personal Edition?
When you have a new machine and want have the most possible, install visual Studio 2019 Version 6.6 and Visual Cobol 5.0 for VS2019, then you must install Patch 2 for personal, for other Version Patch 6
I had no Problem for installing, deinstalling and reinstalling and it works very good!
How can we help you?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Betreff: Uninstall Issue - Messages say I need to Uninstall Visual COBOL - But it is uninstalled

Jump to solution

Go to the System preferences and uninstall Visual Cobol 5.0 first! - That is the issue I am talking about.  I uninstalled it, but as you can see from my image in my post, the system says It is still installed still.

I also re-installed it, and then uninstalled it again, and I am still getting the error message.

What have you for os System? Win7, Win8, Win10? - Windows 10.

What is the Version of Visual Studio? 2017 or 2019 - Visual Studio 2017

What is the Version of Visual Cobol? Personal Edition? - It doesn't say, but my company purchased it for me to develop with.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Uninstall Issue - Messages say I need to Uninstall Visual COBOL - But it is uninstalled

Jump to solution

I am by no means an expert on the installation process or installation issues, but:

1. Have you rebooted since running the uninstallation? It should have told you if that was necessary, but it might be worth a try. If you don't want to reboot unnecessarily, you can use a utility such as pendmoves from Microsoft SysInternals to see if there are any pending file operations.
  2. The log says the installation is failing because it found the string "Micro Focus Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2017" in the Registry (in the appropriate place). That string appears under HKLM\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\5.0 as the data of the VCVS2017ProductName value, at least on my machine. So you could try deleting the entire 5.0 key and all its subkeys using regedit or similar.

In the past, when I've run into a problem like this, I've sometimes extracted individual MSIs from the installer executable and run manual uninstallations against them one at a time using msiexec. That's not a trivial process, though. Just deleting the registry key and installing the new product ought to overwrite everything.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@AmyM1 wrote:

[...]

What is the Version of Visual Cobol? Personal Edition? - It doesn't say, but my company purchased it for me to develop with.

Since this is a paid version, I suggest contacting your local Micro Focus Customer Support for assistance.

–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

I had some random Keys from when I had the trial version 4.0 - once I deleted those, I was able to install the other software. 

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution
Yes, ist correct so, all previous Releases from Visual Cobol must be deinstalled before a new Installation can't be made.
If you have deleted only the registry keys, please Show your hard disk for old directories under c:\Program Files\Micro Focus\
it is not absolute necessary, but help some times and clean your hard disk!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.