Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrade advice please, VC 2.3.2 to 3 with mf dialog

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have questions re. upgrading from VC 2.3.2 to 3 with mf dialog on VS 2015 community edition

(1) Can you clarify, is there a VC version 3 add pack for MF dialog system or is everything included?

(2) To install VC do I need to uninstall 2.3.2 first? Same question cobol server 2.3.2, addpacks and hotfixes on our production machines?

(3) Would you recommend upgrading at this point or should I wait until after the first hot fixes have been released? Is 3 considered stable?

Thanks,

Linden

Linden Rowland - IT Consultant
Owner/Developer, www.SchoolReportWriter.com
IT Consultant to Tindle Newspaper Group

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Upgrade advice please, VC 2.3.2 to 3 with mf dialog

Jump to solution

Ok thank you Fano. We decided to take our chances and install on a couple of servers. We are rolling out an upgrade to MySQL so it makes sense to migrate users to the latest COBOL SERVER at the same time. We're always nervous about upgrades but it's been fine, no problems at all. Linden

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi Linden,

To answer your questions:
1) The compatibility addpack with Dialog System support is now included in version 3.0
2) You don't need to uninstall 2.3.2 first as the 3.0 setup will detect and upgrade. However, we strongly recommend that you uninstall 2.3.2's addpacks and hotfixes before proceeding with the upgrade, and the same recommendation goes with COBOL Server.
3) Micro Focus has performed the usual QA test cycle before releasing 3.0, and so far I haven't encountered any issues on my machines.

Regards,
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you Fano. So just to clarify, I don't need to uninstall either VC or COBOL server, only add packs and hot fixes?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Yes, that is correct!
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks Fano

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi again,
One last question. Is there a list of any known V3 issues? If so, I'd like to check it before proceeding.
Thanks,
Linden

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi Linden,

There is currently not a list of any known issues with version 3.0, but that doesn't mean there are no issues at all 🙂 If everything works fine with the version you are currently on, you can always wait until the next update of 3.0.
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Ok thank you Fano. We decided to take our chances and install on a couple of servers. We are rolling out an upgrade to MySQL so it makes sense to migrate users to the latest COBOL SERVER at the same time. We're always nervous about upgrades but it's been fine, no problems at all. Linden

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.