Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VIsual Cobol r3 installation

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 06 June 2011]

I have some remarks concerning the installation of Visual Cobol R3 trial for 30 days :
- In the mail that was send, there was a link to a readme file for Eclipse, but this link did not work . I always got the message "Download failed! Please follow the link from the email again."? and I tried it in Firefox and Microsoft Explorer.
- It is not possible for me to make a Cobol JVM project ,I have only two choices :
- Cobol project or Cobol remote project.
I want to give a demonstration for my colleagues, because we recently moved from mainframe cobol to JEE, so it must be possible for me to make a JVM project.

- Some new syntax does give warnings (exc.the program for Managed Cobol Performance Programming - part 1 and 3
How can that been solved?

- In the presentation of 20th of january they mentioned that all programs would be available at the forum, but I did not find any, can you tell me where I can find those programs so I can test them.

wcarp
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: VIsual Cobol r3 installation

Jump to solution
Hi,
It does seem as though there is a problem with the links to the readme in the email. I'm currently chasing to get that resolved. As you might surmise, the readme does contain some important information for you to be able to install the JVM COBOL support. This is the bit you will be missing:

<begin instructions>
The Eclipse IDE supports the ability to compile COBOL code to JVM and is made available as an Early Access Programme. This functionality is not installed by default and needs a couple of additional install steps before you can create, build and debug COBOL JVM code within the IDE.

Start Eclipse and perform the following steps:
Help/Install New Software...
Click the Add... button
Enter “AspectJ” and http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ajdt/36/update/ into the ‘Add Repository’ dialog
Click OK, select the entry: Other AJDT Tools (Optional)->Equinox Weaving SDK. ( that is select Other AJDT Tools (Optional) and the child item Equinox Weaving SDK, the other child items need not be selected.
Click Next, Next, Accept the EULA and then Finish to install the AspectJ development tools.

On Restart
Click the Add... button
Enter “MFJVM”
Click the Local button and browse to “UpdateSite-JVM” directory in your Visual COBOL installation. (By default, this will be in ‘c:\Program Files\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL 2010/UpdateSite-JVM/’)
Click Next, Next, Accept the EULA and then Finish to install MFJVM

Eclipse will prompt you to restart so restart Eclipse,
On restart Go to Windows->Preference->JDT Weaving:
Click on “Click to Enable (requires restart)” button and restart

Once installed, you should be ready to create a new COBOL JVM project (File/New/Other..., Micro Focus COBOL/COBOL JVM Project)
If you are in the COBOL perspective and do not see “File->New->COBOL JVM Project” you will need to reset it once. In order to do it follow the steps:
- press the right mouse button over COBOL perspective (in the top left corner)
- choose “Reset”
<end instructions>

The presentations of the 20th Jan are available (see the video links), but I'm not sure that the source code is on the community site. The demos shown in the launch presentation are not currently available as source code in the product. In the R3 release we are a little lacking in sample code - an ommission we have corrected in R4.

The programs for the Managed COBOL Performance Programming may have been written using a later version of the Visual COBOL product (the R4 version rather than R3). I'll check into this for you and verify if that is the case or not. As you might expect, we are continually adding to the Managed COBOL language and improving the functionality so new syntax will continue to evolve.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,

Can you please contact me via email Arunn.Ramadoss@microfocus.com, and I can help you with getting the read me file links to work.

I believe the sample programs are shipped with the product itself, I am sure one of our experts will respond to you shortly.

Thanks,
Arunn.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi,
It does seem as though there is a problem with the links to the readme in the email. I'm currently chasing to get that resolved. As you might surmise, the readme does contain some important information for you to be able to install the JVM COBOL support. This is the bit you will be missing:

<begin instructions>
The Eclipse IDE supports the ability to compile COBOL code to JVM and is made available as an Early Access Programme. This functionality is not installed by default and needs a couple of additional install steps before you can create, build and debug COBOL JVM code within the IDE.

Start Eclipse and perform the following steps:
Click the Add... button
Enter “AspectJ” and http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ajdt/36/update/ into the ‘Add Repository’ dialog
Click OK, select the entry: Other AJDT Tools (Optional)->Equinox Weaving SDK. ( that is select Other AJDT Tools (Optional) and the child item Equinox Weaving SDK, the other child items need not be selected.
Click Next, Next, Accept the EULA and then Finish to install the AspectJ development tools.

On Restart
Click the Add... button
Enter “MFJVM”
Click the Local button and browse to “UpdateSite-JVM” directory in your Visual COBOL installation. (By default, this will be in ‘c:\Program Files\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL 2010/UpdateSite-JVM/’)
Click Next, Next, Accept the EULA and then Finish to install MFJVM

Eclipse will prompt you to restart so restart Eclipse,
On restart Go to Windows->Preference->JDT Weaving:
Click on “Click to Enable (requires restart)” button and restart

Once installed, you should be ready to create a new COBOL JVM project (File/New/Other..., Micro Focus COBOL/COBOL JVM Project)
If you are in the COBOL perspective and do not see “File->New->COBOL JVM Project” you will need to reset it once. In order to do it follow the steps:
- press the right mouse button over COBOL perspective (in the top left corner)
- choose “Reset”
<end instructions>

The presentations of the 20th Jan are available (see the video links), but I'm not sure that the source code is on the community site. The demos shown in the launch presentation are not currently available as source code in the product. In the R3 release we are a little lacking in sample code - an ommission we have corrected in R4.

The programs for the Managed COBOL Performance Programming may have been written using a later version of the Visual COBOL product (the R4 version rather than R3). I'll check into this for you and verify if that is the case or not. As you might expect, we are continually adding to the Managed COBOL language and improving the functionality so new syntax will continue to evolve.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.