Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL 2.1

Jump to solution

I am new to Visual COBOL and I want to create a simple winform (managed COBOL) that will read an AcuCOBOL vision file located on a windows machine. Are there any small examples out there where I can see how to set up a program that will do this?

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Visual COBOL 2.1

Jump to solution

I have found that the 9/198 error when reading a vision file is a result of compiling the application for "Any CPU" on a 64 bit windows machine.  The fix that I have used is to change the "Platform target" on the COBOL configuration page for the project to "x86"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Mgarner, couple suggestions for you to refer to:

This shows how to access ACU and RM files from Visual COBOL:

documentation.microfocus.com/.../index.jsp

And for WinForm tutorials, we have several UI samples to choose from including this getting started guide:

documentation.microfocus.com/.../index.jsp

Regards, Scot

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks Scot

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

No problem, let us know how you get on.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

When I try to open the extend vision file i get a 9/nnn file status error (nnn=198) is that an issue with my vision file or am I missing something in the set up?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Have you set the EXTFH environment variable to point to a extfh configuration file?  If so what is the contents of the configuration file?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I have found that the 9/198 error when reading a vision file is a result of compiling the application for "Any CPU" on a 64 bit windows machine.  The fix that I have used is to change the "Platform target" on the COBOL configuration page for the project to "x86"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I did not set to point to an external config file, I added IDXFORMAT"17" to the additional directives

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

This worked for me.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Does this effect tha ability to run the process on a 64 bit machine

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

No.  The application will run fine on a 64 bit machine.  The reason that it needs to be compiled for x86, as I understand it,  is that the "vision file handling libraries" are 32 bit.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.