Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
kpeters913 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL 2.3 naïve program run time issue

I have an old Net Express project that I have converted to Visual Cobol 2.3, I had issues getting the RUN time module to load based upon my path command, so I copied all of the runtime modules into my folder and I get the following message:

DSGRUN.dll is in the CCARMARUN folder:

What am I doing wrong?  Do I have a compile/link option incorrect, using dynamic runtime model.

Thanks

0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual COBOL 2.3 naïve program run time issue

I suggest following the deployment instructions from this KB article: https://community.microfocus.com/microfocus/cobol/visual_cobol/w/knowledge_base/28745/network-deployment-of-visual-cobol-2-3-native-applications

You will note that none of the COBOL run-time files are required to be copied over to the application folder and that you are missing some steps. One of them is for instance to create the .mfcfg file.

On the side note, I've noticed you referred "native program" as "naïve program" in your recent posts. Was that intentional as they don't quite have the same meaning?

–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Absent Member.

At the moment I am just trying to get it to work on a single workstation, and it is a native cobol program. My original try on the network was not working so I was trying to install on a single workstation first. Either way the error message I am receiving does not make sense.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I agree the error message is not very helpful, but there is definitely something wrong about your environment.

You might want to install COBOL Server on this workstation to make sure that you can run the program with the complete set of the run-time.

I'm also wondering if this could be a run-time conflict between the Net Express one and the Visual COBOL one. Do you also run the Net Express compiled programs on this same workstation?

Did you copy the run-time files from a Visual COBOL or COBOL Server installation?
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Cobol Server is install on the workstation. I do not have any net express run times on this workstation. The run time files were copied from the cobol server installation on the workstation.
0 Likes
NeilH1
New Member.

I suggest you run procmon.exe (sysinternals - google it) and trace where the runtimes are being loaded from. I often come across bad installation of 'other' products where files have been deployed to Windows\System32 (Bad practice).

Running procmon will show you the registry entries you application has read and the files it has loaded and more importantly where from. You then look down the log looking for the COBOL runtime files....are they being loaded where from the location you expect?

If your application has been compiled for dynamic linking then your prime executable is going to use the registry to locate the COBOL runtime. This is when you should be using the Micro Focus provided install rather than a handful of runtime files you might have chosen to ship.

Procmon might shed some light on your problem.

Have you set any COBPATH /COBDIR variables etc?

Neil
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Can you try the following:

1. rebuild all programs with the dynamic link setting:
    1. click Properties under project
    2. click the Link property
    3. select Dynamic checkbox
    4. rebuild solution
  2. deploy the new .exe (and subprograms if any) to the application folder
  3. remove all of run-time files in the application folder
  4. launch the .exe
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I have done the above and now get an run time error 245. I have defined a .bat with the proper path to point to cobol server and created the .mfcfg file based upon KB document. I have double check the paths and are correct.

Micro Focus Visual COBOL 2.3 Version 2.3.02187.
Serial number: 600000371399,600000569788 Full license
For more information, visit http://www.microfocus.com.
Copyright (C) Micro Focus 1984-2016. All rights reserved.

Cobol Server is version 2.3.2161
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Do you mind opening a Support Incident instead to address this issue please? This will avoid any further delay to resolve the issue.
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just for information, as Ғɑɳօ has already suggested raising a support incident to progress the problems you are having :

The description in error messages is obtained from files in the subfolders of the lang folder in the product installation and will be located relative to COBDIR/lang so if COBDIR is not set or you have not copied the lang folders a default message is displayed, which is what was displayed in the message box you posted.

A 174 error will occur if a DLL cannot be loaded because a module it imports cannot be found/loaded. If you start a COBOL command prompt and execute

link -dump -imports dsgrun.dll

you should see that in addition to the COBOL run-time, cblrtsm.dll, it also imports oopsm.dll and Pan2NT.dll. If either of those dlls are missing the 174 error will occur.

Gael
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

FYI - Issue resolved through support incident with Micro Focus customer support

Since COBOL Server is installed on the machine and the application was linked with the dynamic shared runtime option, there is no need to copy the run-time files to the application folder. The runtime files should be found automatically.

"Error 245: There are no valid product licenses" occurs when the proper license is not installed. In this case, there was no COBOL Server license installed.
–Ғɑɳօ
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.