Rod_Hittle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL 2015 for MS Visual Studio // The Micro Focus CES daemon is not running.

Jump to solution

I finally got a version of MS Visual Studio to show the Micro Focus VISUAL COBOL to show up.

I first tried to do Visual Studio 2017 but Chris Glazier was kind enough to point out VISUAL COBOL is not yet ready for Visual Studion 2017.

So I finally got Visual Studio 2015 up and running and can make a new project for C++.  And I installed Visual COBOL 2015 and to my delight COBOL now shows up in the Projects option.

But I celebrated to soon.  When I went to make a COBOL project I got this error:

The Micro Focus CES daemon is not running.  Please restart the service in order to work with Micro Focus Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2015.

And when I canceled out of that I got

No license for this feature is available.  This may be because it has not been installed or it is expired.

background:  My PC is on WINDOWS 7 and is all updated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual COBOL 2015 for MS Visual Studio // The Micro Focus CES daemon is not running.

Jump to solution
Rod,

If you go to the Control Panel and open the Services you should see Micro Focus CES daemon listed, which you can then start. I suspect that it may have been stopped during a previous uninstall. If it is not listed, go to Programs and Features and repair Micro Focus License Manager. That should install and start the service.

Hope that helps,

Gael
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual COBOL 2015 for MS Visual Studio // The Micro Focus CES daemon is not running.

Jump to solution
Rod,

If you go to the Control Panel and open the Services you should see Micro Focus CES daemon listed, which you can then start. I suspect that it may have been stopped during a previous uninstall. If it is not listed, go to Programs and Features and repair Micro Focus License Manager. That should install and start the service.

Hope that helps,

Gael
Rod_Hittle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Gael,
I did get into Services and the Micro Focus CES daemon was not listed. So I did the repair as you directed and now I can bring up Visual Studio and then start a COBOL project. Thank you very much. This was the last (I hope) step in a very painful process.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.