Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
rune
Member.

Visual COBOL 3.0 with open jdk?

Jump to solution

I am developing in Visual COBOL 3.0 for Eclipse. I create simple Cobol programs that I compile to Java (jar-file) and use as a library in my application. I have no problem running with Oracle's JRE, but the program seem to freeze when I run it with Open JDK 8 (JRE downloaded from https://adoptopenjdk.net/).

I run my application with this command line:
java -Djava.library.path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\bin64" -jar <my jar>

Should I be able to run under OpenJDK? Do I need to compile the library differently?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Visual COBOL 3.0 with open jdk?

Jump to solution

The first product version to support OpenJDK is Visual COBOL V5.0 and in fact the product is now shipped with the AdoptOpenJDK's OpenJDK. Visual COBOL 3.0 does not support OpenJDK.

Here is the text from the 5.0 documentation.

Software requirements

• Java 8 (64-bit) is required to run the Eclipse IDE. The minimum recommended version is AdoptOpenJDK's OpenJDK 8 (u202) with Hotspot, which the Windows product installs automatically. Java 8 (32 or 64-bit versions), and Java 11 (64-bit version only) are supported for executing JVM COBOL code and for native COBOL and Java interoperability. You can download AdoptOpenJDK's OpenJDK 8 with Hotspot from AdoptOpenJDK's Web site and unpack the archive anywhere on your machine.
    Note: Eclipse does not run using Java 11.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Visual COBOL 3.0 with open jdk?

Jump to solution

The first product version to support OpenJDK is Visual COBOL V5.0 and in fact the product is now shipped with the AdoptOpenJDK's OpenJDK. Visual COBOL 3.0 does not support OpenJDK.

Here is the text from the 5.0 documentation.

Software requirements

• Java 8 (64-bit) is required to run the Eclipse IDE. The minimum recommended version is AdoptOpenJDK's OpenJDK 8 (u202) with Hotspot, which the Windows product installs automatically. Java 8 (32 or 64-bit versions), and Java 11 (64-bit version only) are supported for executing JVM COBOL code and for native COBOL and Java interoperability. You can download AdoptOpenJDK's OpenJDK 8 with Hotspot from AdoptOpenJDK's Web site and unpack the archive anywhere on your machine.
    Note: Eclipse does not run using Java 11.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.