Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL Feedback

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 18 January 2011]

January 20th 2011 is the launch day for Visual COBOL R3 - a major milestone in the evolution of COBOL development and deployment (OK, sorry for the marketing-speak!)

Let's use this thread to capture your feedback. Once you've downloaded and installed the product, let us know about your experience.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Steve and I did get to the bottom of this and he's now up and running with R3.

In brief, the issue is that msbuild will inherit system environment variables which in most cases is fine and desirable. However, in this case there was a clash with an environment variable named VERBOSE and the COBOL msbuild task property also named Verbose.

Unsetting VERBOSE fixed the problem for Steve.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
hi there - the product looks awesome and VS integration is great compared to what we've been using.. I'm sampling the product and running this: Tutorial: Developing and Debugging a Native COBOL Application

One issue, I'm getting an error when I try to build the sample program:
Error 1 "1" is an invalid value for the "Verbose" parameter of the "Cobol" task. The "Verbose" parameter is of type "System.Boolean". C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\v1.0\MicroFocus.COBOL.targets 304

Any suggestions?

thanks!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi Stevodevo, could you zip up the test project you are using and send it to scot.nielsen@microfocus.com?

In the interim, if you create a new native console or link library application you may be able to continue with the tutorial.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
hi Scot, thanks for the quick response. You should be getting that email shortly. Sorry I failed to mention in my original post that the tutorial I'm having problems with is the one in the MicroFocus help.

thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Steve and I did get to the bottom of this and he's now up and running with R3.

In brief, the issue is that msbuild will inherit system environment variables which in most cases is fine and desirable. However, in this case there was a clash with an environment variable named VERBOSE and the COBOL msbuild task property also named Verbose.

Unsetting VERBOSE fixed the problem for Steve.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.