Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Visual COBOL Installation Issues

Hi! I just installed Visual COBOL for Personal Use, and I cannot create a new project or open an existing one.  It just says "preparing project" and doesn't do anything else.

I have to ctrl + alt + delete and run task manager to get the program to stop.

I am currently using Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition version 15.7.4 & Visual COBOL 4.0 version Version 4.0.00243

I had a real bugger of a time trying to get this to install.  Once the Visual COBOL was installed, the only way I could get it to show up in visual studio is by following the directions on this web page:

https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/visual-cobol/VC30/VS2017/GUID-391926CC-0991-4E0F-B0F3-9249B0FDB691.html

Anyone know what can be causing the Visual COBOL not to work?  I've already tried uninstalling and re-installing both the Visual Studio and the Visual COBOL, and I am still getting the same issue.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

RE: Visual COBOL Installation Issues

I realize this is not much help but I installed VS 2017 Community Edition and Visual COBOL 4 without any problems. I am running Windows 7. Could this be a Windows 10 issue? I found that Visual COBOL hangs whenever it encounters a missing DLL or any other missing entry point. Perhaps there is a library it is expecting but not finding.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I am running on Windows 10.
How do I find out what it is missing?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have had no problems with windows 10 but initially had licensing problems and had to reinstall several times, making sure that you reboot between part of the process. I'm sure this not related to your overall problem, but I've found that you have to wait about 20 seconds after initiating VS 2017 before you select a project, else it's hangs as you describe.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

That didn't work either - I let it sit for an hour, and it still froze up.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

With Help from Micro Focus Support - Found that the issue was the License Key I was provided. I had to remove the bad key, and then enter in the new key. Once this was done, everything works fine.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.