Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL R3 - Recommended machine setup

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 March 2011]

Have currently got Visual COBOL R3 under evaluation running on a Windows XP SP3 machine with 2GB RAM.

Have set up a test project containing 250 projects and programs (as our NE5.1 projects contain DOUBLE this amount of work). VisCOBOL will stop running when swapping from a DEBUG build to a RELEASE build option and memory seems to be the issue.

Could anyone tell me what RAM / machine setup would be a good guide to try this size project on?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual COBOL R3 - Recommended machine setup

Jump to solution
We have now taken this issue off-line and it is being handled by Micro Focus SupportLine.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
What makes you believe that it is a memory issue?
If it builds OK under Debug Build then it should build ok under Release Build.

What is the error message you are receiving, if any, or the behavior that you are experiencing?

It is hard to estimate memory usage based on number of projects, it really depends on what the projects contain.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The PC 'hangs' when I attempt to move from the 'Debug' build to the 'Release' build option. (Top bar menu)

We have a work-a-round from the point of view of building the WHOLE solution in that I can use the batch build option but is not so clever when I need to build individual 'release' components!

Any thoughts?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
So are you actually building the solution when it hangs or are you just trying to change the build type from Debug to Release?

This sounds like something that you will need to raise a support incident for.
Then we can try to recreate the problem in-house and provide a fix if necessary.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I'm "trying to change the build type from Debug to Release".

The VISCOBOL workbench hangs and requires a reboot.

Smaller project sizes have no problem.

Our projects will require in excess of 500 programs so this IS a problem for us.

Please let me know how I can create a support incident for this.

Many thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Mark S. originally wrote:
I'm "trying to change the build type from Debug to Release".

The VISCOBOL workbench hangs and requires a reboot.

Smaller project sizes have no problem.

Please pardon me for jumping in . . .

I'm assuming that you created a new solution under VS2010 but since you mention that it's rather large, I also realize that you may have converted an existing VS2008 solution. Therefore, if you did migrate a VS 2008 sln to a VS 2010 sln, I'd try creating a brand new solution and then manually add the projects/files from the solution with the problem. Yes, I realize that the only significant difference seems to be the size of the solution in terms of numbers of files and projects included but there's also the possibility that the .sln file itself or possibly project files under it may have gotten corrupted somehow.

Also are there any other add-ins to your Visual Studio? If so, you might try removing them because they may be causing an issue. Again, I realize that the size of the solution seems to be the cause of the problem but I wouldn't automatically rule out other factors.

--
Onorio
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The project was created from scratch as we're moving from NE5 to VISCOBOL.

The installation of the product was a generic set up so if there's stuff we can take out, or remove, then please let me know how this can be done as as the moment we don't have a satisfactory solution to this problem.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
You need to contact support and open up an incident for this issue.
If you e-mail your customer information to me then I can do this for you.

Please send name, company name, serial number etc. to:
chris.glazier@microfocus.com

Please do not post this information to this web forum.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Mark S. originally wrote:
The project was created from scratch as we're moving from NE5 to VISCOBOL.

The installation of the product was a generic set up so if there's stuff we can take out, or remove, then please let me know how this can be done as as the moment we don't have a satisfactory solution to this problem.

I was referring to any add-ins that may have been present in Visual Studio before you installed Visual COBOL but it sounds as if there were no Visual Studio add-ins present.

I would be a bit surprised if the size of the solution was the important factor but whether it is or it is not Chris is right; this is not the best place to address this issue. You should send the info that Chris requested and he can get the ball rolling with our tech support.

--
Onorio
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
We have now taken this issue off-line and it is being handled by Micro Focus SupportLine.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.