Highlighted
jzhang18 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL Run-time Console in Linux

Jump to solution

I am new to COBOL Eclipse tools,  Hope someone help me to figure it out

On Windows OS, when  I run COBOL tutorials, I can see the result in Prompt Windows directly from Eclipse.

But on Redhat Enterprise Linux. there is nothing to show the result from Eclipse when I run the COBOL application.

I need to test the application outside Eclipse.

Is there any configuration that needs to be setup under Linux?  I want to see the same behavior as Windows.

Any help is really appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual COBOL Run-time Console in Linux

Jump to solution

Hello jzhang18:

How do you view the Eclipse IDE when running Eclipse on Red Hat? Are you viewing Eclipse directly on the Red Hat desktop, or through an X-server running on Windows?  Or on the console of a VM running on Windows?

I created a hello-world project using Visual COBOL version 2.3 for Eclipse on the Red Hat desktop. At first I included only

display "hello world".

This ran quickly, and the output window appeared only in a flash then disappeared . Then I added:

stop "stopped, press a key to continue".

As the last statement in the procedure division. The output window appeared, and stopped allow it to be seen by the user. 

If you add a 'stop' statement to the end of your hello world program, does this help the output window to appear on your system?

jzhang18 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you, Dan

I found the issue,  Eclipse call xterm command to show the result.

But by default, RED HAT Enterprise does not install xterm package.   After I did this installation:

sudo yum install xterm

Everything is working now.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello jzhang18:

How do you view the Eclipse IDE when running Eclipse on Red Hat? Are you viewing Eclipse directly on the Red Hat desktop, or through an X-server running on Windows?  Or on the console of a VM running on Windows?

I created a hello-world project using Visual COBOL version 2.3 for Eclipse on the Red Hat desktop. At first I included only

display "hello world".

This ran quickly, and the output window appeared only in a flash then disappeared . Then I added:

stop "stopped, press a key to continue".

As the last statement in the procedure division. The output window appeared, and stopped allow it to be seen by the user. 

If you add a 'stop' statement to the end of your hello world program, does this help the output window to appear on your system?

jzhang18 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I login into my physical Red Hat machine with my account,  from console, I switch to a new user account called "cobol" which I use to install Visual COBOL.   I run xhost +,   then under "cobol" account,  I run eclipse as command to start Eclipse IDE.  

What does your output window look like,  Does it look like the pop-up Console on MS Windows?

0 Likes
jzhang18 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you, Dan

I found the issue,  Eclipse call xterm command to show the result.

But by default, RED HAT Enterprise does not install xterm package.   After I did this installation:

sudo yum install xterm

Everything is working now.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I am running Eclipse on a Red Hat desktop that appears on Windows as a result of running a Red Hat VM under virtualization software (Oracle VirtualBox) on Windows.  This desktop is equivalent to the desktop that would be displayed on a physical monitor connected to a physical machine running Red Hat.

When I run the hello-world program, the application output window appears in a way similar to how it appears when Eclipse is run on Windows, that is, it appears as a separate window on the desktop.  On the Red Hat desktop, the application output window is an instance of xterm.

In your setup, to see the Eclipse window itself, on Windows I assume you are running X-server software such as ViewNow.  In the environment on Red Hat in which you invoke Eclipse, I assume you have a DISPLAY environment variable pointing to your X-server on Windows.  I would assume the xterm application output window would have access to the same DISPLAY environment variable.

OK, yes now I see that you have discovered that xterm was not installed on your Red Hat system.  The Release Notes for Visual COBOL do have a small note about this; they say:

• Xterm, the terminal emulator for the X Window System, is part of your UNIX/Linux distribution but is not

installed by default. Use your UNIX/Linux installation media to install it.

I do not remember having to install xterm on my Red Hat machine, but I am running Red Hat 7.1.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.