Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL Standalone Install w/Visual Studio Trial

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 07 June 2011]

I have Visual COBOL installed as a standalone version but would like to try out multi-language support with the trial of Visual Studio 2010. Will Visual COBOL recognize Visual Studio 2010 if installed after Visual COBOL, or is Visual Studio 2010 required to be installed prior to Visual COBOL?

Help appreciated! Thank you!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Visual COBOL Standalone Install w/Visual Studio Trial

Jump to solution
In relation to "standalone" I assume the OP is referring to using Visual COBOL for native compiling. Visual COBOL can compile and run COBOL without Visual Studio. This means using a different editor and compiling at the command line.

The Visual Studio 2010 Intergrated Shell version is sufficent for using Visual COBOL.
I think it's Visual Studio that will "find" Visual COBOL rather than the other way around, as Visual COBOL will be compiled "within" Visual Studio, with directives, etc, being set-up within Visual Studio (sorry I can't remember how!).

However, The Readme for R3 does say that Visual Studio needs to be installed before Visual COBOL.

Edit - Corrected for error in original post.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution
Hi Dan,

Visual Studio 2010 is a pre-requisite to installing Visual COBOL, so I'm not sure how you installed Visual COBOL without having Visual Studio installed beforehand.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "standalone version".. ?

Thanks,

James
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
In relation to "standalone" I assume the OP is referring to using Visual COBOL for native compiling. Visual COBOL can compile and run COBOL without Visual Studio. This means using a different editor and compiling at the command line.

The Visual Studio 2010 Intergrated Shell version is sufficent for using Visual COBOL.
I think it's Visual Studio that will "find" Visual COBOL rather than the other way around, as Visual COBOL will be compiled "within" Visual Studio, with directives, etc, being set-up within Visual Studio (sorry I can't remember how!).

However, The Readme for R3 does say that Visual Studio needs to be installed before Visual COBOL.

Edit - Corrected for error in original post.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for the clarification colemanj!

Yes, that is what I mean. I'm assisting another user who is taking the Visual COBOL 2010 Software Development Web Based training and reached the mixed language modules. They don't currently have mixed language support because they are using the integrated shell instead of the full VS2010 product. I'm assuming that the shell may have been included in previous installers for Visual COBOL, or they installed separately and I was unaware.

Thanks for pointing me to the R3 doc, that answered my question. Looks like in order to obtain mixed language support for a user that installed the integrated shell, they may need to uninstall all and install the full VS2010 product followed by Visual COBOL.

Appreciate the assistance!

Dan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.