Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL for MS Visual Studio 2017, what is step 3?

Jump to solution

I am new to MS Visual Studio 2017 and to Micro Focus and its COBOL.  I down loaded both but now what is step 3?  I do see I can choose C# and Visual Basic.  But COBOL does not come up as an option.

File/New/Project

and in the NEW PROJECT window on the left panel under Templates there is no COBOL

0 Likes
18 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I am a little concern as I am on WINDOWS 7, It seems 'Windows 10 SDK' is for Windows 10. Does it matter?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
No, but you need to make sure your OS has the correct patches. Your best solution is probably to install the Windows 10 SDK separately from developer.microsoft.com/.../windows-10-sdk
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Paula, thanks for working with me on this. I downloaded and installed Windows 10 SDK. I assume the next step is to reboot the PC. After that should I re-install Visual Studio and or Micro Focus Visual COBOL?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Yes, the first step is to ensure you have a working Visual Studio 2017 installation. A repair might be sufficient or you could uninstall/re-install it. It will be quite quick to do this since the components will already have been cached on your machine. Then re-install Visual COBOL. If you already have Visual COBOL installed, you may be able to get going by re-registering the Visual COBOL extension. There's a utility called MFVSIXInstall.exe installed in VC which you can just run to do this (it's documented in the Visual COBOL release notes)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
'working' installation of Visual Studio is kind of unknown. I can open it up and start a new project in C++. But it still has an error/warning and that is after have Windows SDK 10 installed, made sure I was all patched up, which I was. Then I un-installed both Visual Cobol and VS and then re-installed VS and then Visual COBOL. Still no COBOL to choose when starting a package. I have made a post on this on the MS Visual Studio forum but no replies there.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I looked at the log carefully and what to share below for anyone who can help or runs into the same problem.
The first section of the log is about installing extensions. And I think the extensions are failing because of a timestamp issue. Here is one example:
- -------------------------------------------
- Microsoft VSIX Installer
- -------------------------------------------
- Initializing Install...
- Extension Details...
- Identifier : MicroFocus.VSIX.IMTKPackage.Micro Focus.720b036b-acd0-49d4-b255-a8d91e31db75
- Name : Micro Focus IMTK
- Author : Micro Focus
- Version : 1.0
- Description : Interface Mapping Toolkit
- Locale : en-US
- MoreInfoURL :
- InstalledByMSI : False
- SupportedFrameworkVersionRange : [4.5,)
-
- SignatureState : Unsigned
- Supported Products :
- Microsoft.VisualStudio.IntegratedShell
- Version : [15.0,16.0)
-
- References :
- Prerequisites :
- -------------------------------------------------------
- Identifier : Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.CoreEditor
- Name : Visual Studio core editor
- Version : [15.0.25904.2,16.0)
-
- Signature Details...
- Extension is not signed.
-
- PKGDEF Information: Looking for master PkgDef file,
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\master.pkgdef

- PKGDEF Information: Creating PkgDefCacheNonVolatile
- PKGDEF Information: Double-checking master pkgdef file
- PKGDEF Information: PkgDefManagement initialized
- PKGDEF Information: RootFolder,
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\

- PKGDEF Information: ShellFolder,
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\

- PKGDEF Information: PkgDefSearchPath,
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.admin.pkgdef

- PKGDEF Information: ImageManifestSearchPath,
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions;
C:\Users\Rod\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_c67538bd\Extensions

- PKGDEF Information: ApplicationExtensionsFolder,
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions

- PKGDEF Information: "ZeroImpact" = dword:0, "MergeRegistry" = dword:3
- PKGDEF Information: Could not find ConfigurationChanged timestamp., PKGDEF: 80070002
- PKGDEF Information: Could not find ConfigurationChanged timestamp., PKGDEF: 80070002
- PKGDEF Information: User extensions enabled by setting,
Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_c67538bd\ExtensionManager\EnableAdminExtensions

- PKGDEF Information: PkgDefCache flags, PKGDEF: 7001
- PKGDEF Information: PkgDefManagement startup complete
- The extension with ID 'MicroFocus.VSIX.IMTKPackage.Micro Focus.720b036b-acd0-49d4-b255-a8d91e31db75'
is not installed to Visual Studio Community 2017.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Notice the last line few lines in above post.
Later on in the long is a whole series of PACKAGES that fail to install. It seems that they are NOT APPLICABLE (so maybe I should not care). They seem to fail because of the 'The current OS Version '6.1.7601.65536' is not in the supported version range '[6.2,6.3)'.
I don't know how to fix that if that has anything to do with my Windows7 OS as I have it completely up-to-date.
The other issue may be that the WINDOWS 10 SDK version it wants is not the latest which I have installed.
version I have 10.0.26624
version it wants 10.0.15063.15
DETAILS
- The following target products have been selected...
- Visual Studio Community 2017
-
- Beginning to install extension to Visual Studio Community 2017...
- Package Microsoft.Windows.UniversalCRT.Msu.8 is not applicable. Skipping it due to the following reason(s):
The current OS Version '6.1.7601.65536' is not in the supported version range '[6.2,6.3)'.
- Package vs.emulator.android is not applicable. Skipping it due to the following reason(s):
The current OS Version '6.1.7601.65536' is not in the supported version range '6.2'.
Hyper-V is not supported by the current environment.
- Package 'Win10SDK_10.0.15063.UWP,version=10.0.15063.15' failed to install.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.