Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual COBOL on a TFS Build Controller

Hi,

We are planning to use TFS to build & deploy our COBOL programs. As I understand it we need to install Visual COBOL on the TFS Build Controller (that will be a separate server) and have a valid Visual COBOL license for that server. But do we also need to first install Visual Studio on the TFS Build Controller or is it enough with the build system installed as part of the TFS Build Controller?

Regards,
Ingela

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual COBOL on a TFS Build Controller

Visual Studio is a prerequisite for installing the Visual COBOL for Visual Studio product.

If you have a full version of Visual Studio installed on your server then Visual COBOL will install into that.

If you do not have Visual Studio already installed then Visual COBOL will install the Visual Studio Shell version automatically and will then install into that.

I would highly recommend that you install a full version of Visual Studio as the shell version is somewhat limited.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm having similar problems as described in this KB-article: community.microfocus.com/.../18112.getting-errors-when-using-team-foundation-server-2010-to-build-visual-cobol-solutions.aspx

I'm using Visual COBOL 2012 and TFS 2012 and receives the following error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\v1.0\MicroFocus.COBOL.targets (659): The "CobolDependencies" task could not be instantiated from "MicroFocus.Cobol.BuildTasks, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0412c5e0b2aaa8f0".  System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks.BaseTask' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'MicroFocus.COBOL.CompilerUtil, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0412c5e0b2aaa8f0' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.    at MicroFocus.IDE.Util.NativeMethods.LoadEntryPoints()    at MicroFocus.IDE.Util.NativeMethods.get_VisualCOBOLBin()    at MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks.BaseTask..cctor()    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---    at MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks.BaseTask..ctor()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\v1.0\MicroFocus.COBOL.targets (659): The "CobolDependencies" task has been declared or used incorrectly, or failed during construction. Check the spelling of the task name and the assembly name.

Please advice how to configure TFS 2012 to run the 32-bit version of msbuild.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry to disturb, I found out how to change it in the Advanced Category.

But still having problems, due to this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\v1.0\MicroFocus.COBOL.targets (262): MSBMF002 - An internal error occurred. Exception text follows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\v1.0\MicroFocus.COBOL.targets (262): Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.