Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
chughes777 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual Cobol 2.2 pe and Visual Studio 2017 Community - Windows 8.2 & Developers Guide to Modern Cobol ebook.

Jump to solution

I have installed both of above and downloaded an ebook A Developers Guide to Modern Cobol (Paul Kelly). Two things I cannot figure out:

1. Can I start Visual Cobol on its own. If so how?. I get to it via Visual Studio (open a Cobol Project).

2. I cannot find the Rental Agency example files for the ebook. The book points at microfocus.com/visualcookbook but that address is to the pdf no sign of the sample files. Anyone know where the files can be downloaded?. I am a former batch Cobol programmer who wants to learn the Visual side of things and the worked examples would be a great aid.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual Cobol 2.2 pe and Visual Studio 2017 Community - Windows 8.2 & Developers Guide to Modern Cobol ebook.

Jump to solution

In order to start Visual COBOL when using Visual Studio 2017 you will need to start Visual Studio 2017 itself as there is no separate product launcher in the Visual COBOL group. This is because Visual Studio 2017 allows you to have multiple instances installed on the same machine so you must start the instance into which Visual COBOL has been installed if more than one exists. I would recommend that you just add the Visual Studio 2017 launcher to your task bar.

When using earlier releases of Visual Studio like 2013 or 2015 there will be a Visual COBOL icon in the Visual COBOL group and you can start Visual COBOL from there.

The examples for the book can be downloaded from the page that you reference: 

The examples are separated by chapter. There is a download icon next to each chapter that has an example and if you click on this it will let you download an appropriate zip file containing the example solutions.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual Cobol 2.2 pe and Visual Studio 2017 Community - Windows 8.2 & Developers Guide to Modern Cobol ebook.

Jump to solution

In order to start Visual COBOL when using Visual Studio 2017 you will need to start Visual Studio 2017 itself as there is no separate product launcher in the Visual COBOL group. This is because Visual Studio 2017 allows you to have multiple instances installed on the same machine so you must start the instance into which Visual COBOL has been installed if more than one exists. I would recommend that you just add the Visual Studio 2017 launcher to your task bar.

When using earlier releases of Visual Studio like 2013 or 2015 there will be a Visual COBOL icon in the Visual COBOL group and you can start Visual COBOL from there.

The examples for the book can be downloaded from the page that you reference: 

The examples are separated by chapter. There is a download icon next to each chapter that has an example and if you click on this it will let you download an appropriate zip file containing the example solutions.

0 Likes
chughes777 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Chris: Thanks so much for quick reply. I understand why launching Visual Studio first is necessary . As regards the book examples - its my eyes its my eyes!! - If you care to look at my question - I was using the address microfocus.com/visualCOOKbook - not visualCOBOLbook. - I had downloaded the book from another source so I never saw the marker for examples download. So sorry -- I have downloaded them now so here goes!! Thanks again
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.