Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual Cobol, Closing Alone!

Hi, can anyone help me? I have MicroFocus Visual Cobol 2.2 (Eclipse) installed. The software now closing alone!!  It does not show any message. We have a license server for manage it. Anyone seen this problem ?  Thank's!

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Can you give a few more specifics about the problem? Does it close immediately when you open Eclipse, or after some specific set of actions?  Is this a new or recent installation, or have you been successfully using the software for a while, and this problem has just recently started occurring? On which operating system version is this happening? Are you using the Eclipse installation that was provided with Visual COBOL, or have you added Visual COBOL to an existing separate Eclipse installation?

Also, please let me know the exact Visual COBOL for Eclipse product version number, which you can see in Eclipse under Help->Micro Focus->Product Information.

Blair McDonald

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok , thank you for your attention. It closes after a few minutes and has no specific action , even if the software is not being used it closes . Installation is new ( 1 month ) . The operating system version is Windows 7 6b bits. I'm using the Eclipse that was shipped with Visual Cobol .

Thank you again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Is the behavior specific to a given workspace? If you create a new, empty workspace with File-> Switch Workspace->Other…, and then provide a new directory name does this error still happen?

If the problem does not happen in the new workspace, what type of projects do you have in the original problem workspace? COBOL projects? COBOL JVM projects? How many COBOL programs are involved?

Once again, I'd like to confirm your exact product version. Please let me know what you see in Eclipse under Help->Micro Focus->Product Information.

Blair McDonald

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Blairm Hello , how are you? I changed the workspace and create a new directory , but the error is the same. I need Cobol Projects only this, only have one program. "Visual COBOL for Eclipse 2.2 Update 2

Version: 2.2.02166"

Thank you again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Micro Focus Visual COBOL for Eclipse installs as a plugin into a standard Eclipse project. It is possible that some corruption has crept into the Eclipse cache.  Try launching the Visual COBOL for Eclipse application with the -clean option.

"C:\Users\Public\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\eclipse\eclipse.exe -clean" would start the product in a typical installation location.

This will instruct Eclipse to clear the plugin cache, and reload the cache from the standard plugin locations, and result in a longer than normal  start time for Eclipse.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello ppimntal, even entering the " - clean" the problem persists. Anyone know where I can download an older version of Cobol Eclipse? Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi, if not using Administrative Rights to start Visual COBOL for Eclipse, can you try to start the Eclipse IDE using Administrative rights, does this make any difference?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When the problem occurs, are any events logged to the Windows Application or System event logs, as shown by the Windows Event Viewer?

This sort of problem can be caused by issues with hardware or unrelated software packages, and sometimes those will leave evidence in the Windows event logs.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.