Absent Member.

Visual Cobol Documentation

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 27 October 2011]

Hi,
in NetExpress Help there are informations about
how to create table, alter table, and others

in EXEC SQL .... END-EXEC

But in Visual Cobol dont have any informations about this?

Cláudio
Brazil.

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

claudiomiguelmuller@hotmail.com

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Visual Cobol Documentation

Jump to solution
Yes, see in Net Express this is documented under the XDB "SQL Option for DB2" section which is actually completely different than the OpenESQL section of the documentation. They are two distinct product components.

I spoke to development regarding the ommission of statements like CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE etc. in both the Net Express and Visual COBOL OpenESQL documentation.

The SQL-1992 Standard (ANSI X3.135-1992), defines SQL statements in various categories.
One of these categories is "direct SQL statements" which includes CREATE TABLE etc., that are meant to be executed in the database itself.

The other category is "embeddable statements" which include statements that can be embedded in a source program like CONNECT, INSERT, UPDATE, etc.

Basically, OpenESQL documents the basic embedded SQL statements used throughout the industry to make sure embedded SQL applications work.

In addition, we document our extensions to embedded SQL statements.

Since OpenESQL was designed to be “open”, when we do not recognize an embedded SQL statement ( a direct SQL statement, if you will), we pass it directly to the database for interpretation and execution.

Each database vendor can have their own syntax for these direct SQL statements so we do not document these.
You should look in your vendors documentation for details on what this syntax looks like and what features are supported for these direct SQL statements.

The reason that we document the direct SQL statements in the documentation for XDB "SQL Option for DB2" is that XDB is a Micro Focus product and as such we control the actual implementation of the direct SQL statements. If the product changes it is because we changed it and thuus we are capable of documenting these changes.

I hope that this helps...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
you may find, what you are looking for when searching the Visual COBOL documentation
with "Using OpenESQL Assistant"

you will find familiar functionality when coming from Net Express. (I assume you are in R3 or R4).

best regards

Joachim Blome
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
But dont have details about to create table (or alter table, or create index, ...)

In NetExpress have a big pages with this.

PS: Sorry my english.

Cláudio.

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
For Visual COBOL the statements supported for EXEC SQL syntax for OpenESQL can be found here:

OpenESQL supported SQL statements

These are exactly the same as in Net Express.

I think that the detail you are referring to was actually covered in the sections SQL Option for DB2 which was the documentation for the XDB component of Net Express.

The XDB "SQL Option for DB2" component is not supplied with Visual COBOL and therefore is not included in the documentation set.

You do have a good point though that the CREATE TABLE statement is not included in the list of supported statements.

I will create a bug for this omission.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,
in your link dont have option CREATE or CREATE TABLE
is the same problem with Visual Cobol documentation

If exists please send me the link web.

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Sorry
you say me "dont have create statements in this list.

The Create Table is the same statement in Visual Cobol and NetExpress
no news and updates?

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE etc, statements for OpenESQL have not changed between Net Express and Visual COBOL although they are not documented for OpenESQL in either product release that I can see.

I believe that the docs that you were looking at in Net Express were actually for SQL Option for DB2 and not for OpenESQL.

Can you please tell me where in the Net Express documentation you are finding the CREATE TABLE reference?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
In Help NetExpress (5.1 Free)
Search - CREATE TABLE
In results: Local: SQL Option Reference

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Yes, see in Net Express this is documented under the XDB "SQL Option for DB2" section which is actually completely different than the OpenESQL section of the documentation. They are two distinct product components.

I spoke to development regarding the ommission of statements like CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE etc. in both the Net Express and Visual COBOL OpenESQL documentation.

The SQL-1992 Standard (ANSI X3.135-1992), defines SQL statements in various categories.
One of these categories is "direct SQL statements" which includes CREATE TABLE etc., that are meant to be executed in the database itself.

The other category is "embeddable statements" which include statements that can be embedded in a source program like CONNECT, INSERT, UPDATE, etc.

Basically, OpenESQL documents the basic embedded SQL statements used throughout the industry to make sure embedded SQL applications work.

In addition, we document our extensions to embedded SQL statements.

Since OpenESQL was designed to be “open”, when we do not recognize an embedded SQL statement ( a direct SQL statement, if you will), we pass it directly to the database for interpretation and execution.

Each database vendor can have their own syntax for these direct SQL statements so we do not document these.
You should look in your vendors documentation for details on what this syntax looks like and what features are supported for these direct SQL statements.

The reason that we document the direct SQL statements in the documentation for XDB "SQL Option for DB2" is that XDB is a Micro Focus product and as such we control the actual implementation of the direct SQL statements. If the product changes it is because we changed it and thuus we are capable of documenting these changes.

I hope that this helps...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
If I understand:
In Visual Cobol has no documentation to create tables and others because each command is to check the manufacturer's help database?

And inside the EXEC SQL ....... END-EXEC?

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.