Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual Cobol R3 launch

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 20 January 2011]

I've heard a lot about visual cobol. I am curious about a couple of specific applications.

1) what happens to Revolve? Is this still supported going forward? Is there a replacement application?

2) we currently use Microfocus Studio (MFE and Revolve). I thought I heard that existing products are still supported and the visual cobol just opens up more doors. Did I hear correctly?

3) What happens to JCL support? Any changes there? Can you develop for a mainframe environment using Visual Studio?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Visual Cobol R3 launch

Jump to solution
Hello Noel,

A quick answer to your question:

* Revolve is still there and supported but its successor called “Modernization Workbench” is now available since more than 2 years.
* Mainframe Express Enterprise Edition (MFE EE) is specifically dedicated to IBM z/OS application development and maintenance. Today Visual COBOL R3 version does not address this specific target. Nevertheless, useful to say that Visual COBOL IDE (Visual Studio and/or Eclipse) will be the foundation for MFE EE next generation
* Today Visual COBOL R3 does not support JCL

Key message to understand here:
- Micro Focus current products still continue to live
- Visual Studio R3 shows how we today deliver on current technologies and what will be our/your future for COBOL/Cobol

To get more detailed information, I would suggest that you take contact with your Micro Focus Technical account.

Thanks and have a nice evening,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Visual Cobol R3 launch

Jump to solution
Hello Noel,

A quick answer to your question:

* Revolve is still there and supported but its successor called “Modernization Workbench” is now available since more than 2 years.
* Mainframe Express Enterprise Edition (MFE EE) is specifically dedicated to IBM z/OS application development and maintenance. Today Visual COBOL R3 version does not address this specific target. Nevertheless, useful to say that Visual COBOL IDE (Visual Studio and/or Eclipse) will be the foundation for MFE EE next generation
* Today Visual COBOL R3 does not support JCL

Key message to understand here:
- Micro Focus current products still continue to live
- Visual Studio R3 shows how we today deliver on current technologies and what will be our/your future for COBOL/Cobol

To get more detailed information, I would suggest that you take contact with your Micro Focus Technical account.

Thanks and have a nice evening,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.