Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Visual Cobol RM Files with Infoexpress

Jump to solution

Good Morning, We are currently working with RM/COBOL accessing with RM/InfoExpress to a UNIX server data, anyone know how to connect from the visual cobol to files residing on Unix.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm going to assume that you want to use a Windows client and are running Visual COBOL 2.0 (aka R6) or later.

Visual COBOL for Windows does not include the RM/InfoExpress client RMTCP32.DLL.  However, since you are an RM customer you probably have an RMTCP32.DLL with your Windows RM/COBOL version 12 runtime system.  Copy that file into the installed Visual COBOL 'bin' directory, usually this will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\bin".  That directory also contains file ARMFM32.DLL which is the Visual COBOL RM File Manager.

To tell Visual COBOL RMFM to use RMTCP32.DLL you need to specify the following:

RMFM_EXTERNAL_ACCESS_METHOD=RMTCP32

You can either set that as an environment variable in the process that will run the Visual COBOL program or you can add it to an acurmfm.cfg configuration file if you already have other such RMFM_ settings.

You probably already know how to tell Visual COBOL that a file is an RM file.  For indexed files I think it is often easiest to specify $SET IDXFORMAT(21) in the COBOL program source before the SELECT clause for an RM file.  For non-indexed files you need to use the INTEROP=RM option in an extfh.cfg file.  Note that INTEROP=RM also applies to indexed files and IDXFORMAT=21 can be specified in extfh.cfg as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanks for your reply,

We work with RM / COBOL version 11 which bring rmtcp32.dll file connected to a Unix server SCO OpenServer 6, works seamlessly with Visual Cobol.

thank you very much.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm going to assume that you want to use a Windows client and are running Visual COBOL 2.0 (aka R6) or later.

Visual COBOL for Windows does not include the RM/InfoExpress client RMTCP32.DLL.  However, since you are an RM customer you probably have an RMTCP32.DLL with your Windows RM/COBOL version 12 runtime system.  Copy that file into the installed Visual COBOL 'bin' directory, usually this will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\bin".  That directory also contains file ARMFM32.DLL which is the Visual COBOL RM File Manager.

To tell Visual COBOL RMFM to use RMTCP32.DLL you need to specify the following:

RMFM_EXTERNAL_ACCESS_METHOD=RMTCP32

You can either set that as an environment variable in the process that will run the Visual COBOL program or you can add it to an acurmfm.cfg configuration file if you already have other such RMFM_ settings.

You probably already know how to tell Visual COBOL that a file is an RM file.  For indexed files I think it is often easiest to specify $SET IDXFORMAT(21) in the COBOL program source before the SELECT clause for an RM file.  For non-indexed files you need to use the INTEROP=RM option in an extfh.cfg file.  Note that INTEROP=RM also applies to indexed files and IDXFORMAT=21 can be specified in extfh.cfg as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanks for your reply,

We work with RM / COBOL version 11 which bring rmtcp32.dll file connected to a Unix server SCO OpenServer 6, works seamlessly with Visual Cobol.

thank you very much.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.