Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Visual Cobol for Mac OSX

Visual Studio 2019 is now avalaible for mac osx.

Plan MF to integrate VC 5.0 for this osx?

Mac OSX is Linux based and perfect for development/testing

2 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Visual Cobol for Mac OSX

I agree. I’ve been running it in a Windows virtual machine, but to be able to do it in native Mac would be awesome.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Visual Cobol for Mac OSX

OS X is not "Linux based". The OSX XNU kernel is a hybrid of CMU/OSF Mach and BSD 4, with subsequent Apple development. While OS X complies with the Single UNIX Specification (SUSv3), the non-CLI parts of the userspace are idiosyncratic to Apple.

I can't speak to product direction, but OS X is not a traditional UNIX (at least as it's typically used), and of course not related to Windows, which is the only current platform for the Visual Studio variants of Visual COBOL and Enterprise Developer.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.