Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Visual Cobol indentation reset using Visual Studio 2019

We are using Visual Studio Personal Edition with Visual Studio 2019.  When entering a program with indentation, the indentation is removed when you reload the program.  Any suggestions?  I'm using it to teach Cobol and don't wish to switch platforms but need the indentation.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Can you please provide more detail on exactly what it is that you are experiencing?

What do you mean by indentation? Are you using tabs to align source elements and then when you save and reload the programs these tabs are missing?

Showing us a screenshot of the indentation before and after would be helpful...

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The issue is when using the tab.  I have attached a zipped file with pictures of a before and after of one line of code.

Your help is greatly appreciated!  

Susan

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Wilson87 

Could you provide us with the current version of Visual Studio 2019 and Visual COBOL you are using. For example:
    Visual Studio 16.7.7
    Visual COBOL 6.0 HF 1

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Here are the versions of Visual Studio and MicroFocus we are using:

Visual Studio Community 2019 - Version 16.7.4

Micro Focus Visual Cobol 5.0

Micro Focus IMTK Client Generator 1.0

0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I have attached a screen shot of the students software versions

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I think you might be hitting a regression introduced by a VS 2019 update. The fix for this is available in the latest patch update for Visual COBOL 5.0 and 6.0. You can view more information and a potential workaround here:

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Visual-COBOL-Forum/Tabs-arent-replaced-with-spaces-when-pasted/m-p/2803715#M8876

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.